Wifes puffer tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well with all the media from established tanks and testing and testing and testing I felt it was ok to add the fish. So here it is.
She decided to go with fake plants which I'm kinda glad because I know I'm gonna end up taking care of this tank. So soon I'll have 3 tanks lol, but it's cool, she's happy with it. She's staring at it now lol.

View attachment 68950

View attachment 68951

View attachment 68952

View attachment 68953

The cool thing about this tank is it's on the window sill. I built out the sill a little longer about 3 inches and had a buddy of mine come by and tint the picture window 5% so UV light can get through and it will help with the heat and sunlight. I'm gonna paint on corner black also just to keep some more sun light out. It looks really cool though. Nice custom job. Fits perfect.

View attachment 68954

What do you ladies and gents think?

Last edited:
Nice setup. Throw in some snails every once in a while to keep your puffer/s busy hunting.

Nice setup. Throw in some snails every once in a while to keep your puffer/s busy hunting.

Will do... Mystery snails ok?

That's really nice!!! Tell her she did a great job! I like the statue. :) that's really cool how it sits on the window like that.

Thanks!! took me sometime to figure out a cool custom place for it so there ya have it. My little handy work.

Cool! Is it in the wall?

No, what I did was build the window sill out more about 3 inches<painted the wood to match, braced it with metal brackets underneath and thats it!! It's a HUGE picture window so I went and got a bamboo shade to put half way down and curtains to end at each end of the tank to hide the wires, it looks like it's made for that space. lol I'm no handy man but I'm sure proud of this one! I added the picture underneath as well to make it look like part of the wall. :dance::dance:

Nice tank,I'd get whatever snails your lfs has on hand at the cheapest price...you could also do nerite snails but remember they're mailny gonna get chomped on by the puffer...

My wife also has a puffer tank with 3 figure 8 puffers...

There is a petco near us that always has an infestation of pond snails in their tanks, and they let us come pick as many out for free as we want. We also have mystery snails in another tank and they lay eggs all the time. I probably have about 50-60 little snails right now just waiting to be puffer food. Both of these work well. Just make sure the size of the snail is appropriate for feeding them. Ours are greedy little eaters and once they get started on something they won't stop till its gone, even if they are way over full.

Tank looks great by the way. I like your handy work as well. Its always satisfying to make something look great like that.

What kind of puffer(s) do you have?

Figure 8's are way fun. I like hand feeding them occasionally. The get really aggressive trying to get the food out of my hand. Sometime I will just stick my finger tip in the water and wag it around a bit. They swim up and nibble at it. It tickles a bit.

@ hholly: I would love to hear your method. I think our apple snails might keep up with the puffers consumption, but it would be good to hear anyways.

Figure 8's are way fun. I like hand feeding them occasionally. The get really aggressive trying to get the food out of my hand. Sometime I will just stick my finger tip in the water and wag it around a bit. They swim up and nibble at it. It tickles a bit.

@ hholly: I would love to hear your method. I think our apple snails might keep up with the puffers consumption, but it would be good to hear anyways.

Careful with your puff swallowing air when hand feeding or tease feeding. Its not fun getting air out of their system.

Back
Top Bottom