Wroberson's 125 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No water test today. petsmart has a 1/2 price sale and I couldn't pass it up. I may not be done. I would like a male Bosemani rainbow. I also saw a Siamese Flying Fox for 12 bucks. Very cool looking fish. I can get more New Guinea Rainbows for 12 bucks, and I know of a red rainbow for 8 in the area.

New Stock List:

3 Dennison Barb
3 Turquoise Rainbow
2 Australian Rainbow
2 Bosemani Rainbow
2 Flying Fox
2 Angelfish
1 Veiltail Betta
1 Clown Loach
1 Redtail Shark
1 Irian Red Rainbow
1 Millennium Rainbow
1 Emerald Rainbow
1 New Guinea Rainbow
1 Banded Rainbow (trifasciata)

The 6 new fish rested for a few minutes, maybe an hour and then when out with the group. The small fishes seem well adjusted, but are skittish when the Angelfish approach. With the new fish, barring some catastrophe, they guarantee there will be around for another 5-8 years. The longest lived fish in the tank are the Dennison Barbs at 8 years, followed by the rainbow fish at 5 years. I haven't really researched the other fish, loach, foxes, angelfish, etc... They me be more long lived than the Barbs. Not bad for $21.00.

Water Test 10-11-2012

Temp 78
PH 7.5
GH 180
KH 120
NO2 0
NO3 10
PO4 .5
Ammonia 0

No change in the water parameters after 5 days. This is great news adding the evaporation which increases the ppm in the decrease volume of water. 3-4 gallon or 2-3 percent. Overall the tank seems to be stable.

The new fish are broken in. The small barb isn't quite aggressive when it comes to eating, but he gets a share. It's tried to hand with the larger adult barbs, but when it gets in line or close, the adults swim away. Both of the Australian rainbows are male. The fish tech at petsmart picked out a beauty with the yellow lines on the tail and black stripes outlining the fins. The Turquoise rainbows are 2 males, one female. Of course one has a better shape than the other and the female is a horse. I may see if the sale is still on and get a few more. I think I can afford 10 more dollars.

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=I.4729829201150999&pid=15.1

Plants are doing well the Red Ozelot sword is really getting some bright red leaves. I dosed 10ml of trace elements and potassium today fist dose in a week to 10 days. The floating plants are getting some good roots hanging and are surviving well. New leaves on the rooted plants every other day. I don't know what more I can do. Will read up on co2 additives to see if it's worth it

Water Test 10-15-2012

Temp 82
PH 7.5
GH 180
KH 120
NO2 0
NO3 20
PO4 .5
Ammonia 0

Today I changed the water. It went a little deep as I was reading. Instead of the usual 6.5 inches, 8 inches of water was removed. I estimate around 40%. Once the tank is refilled, I'll think about removing some dead or dieing leaves. I need something to do tomorrow. Everything has been going smoothly after the bizarre week I had a while back. I added malachite green as a precaution. I saw 2 spots on one of the Australian Rainbow.

I should have tested the water before adding the Malachite Green. My NO3 readin shouldn't have doubled after a water change. maybe I just have poor lightinf and misread the number.

I wouldn't put any ammonia into the tank. If you're setting up a new tank, plants don't need ammonia. You can get food to the plants bu using root tabs. Place one tab directly under each plant. It's expensive and only good for 4 to 6 months, but the fertilizer tablets will feed your new plants enough until you get a good supply of NO3.

Water Test 10-24-2012

Temp 82
PH 7.5
GH 180
KH 120
NO2 0
NO3 20
PO4 .5
Ammonia 0

No change in the water. No water change for 9 days and just a top off today. I'm happy and comfortable with the above numbers. Even the algae growth is slow to return. It only seems to show up on the areas I miss when I clean the glass. usually along the bottom of the tank.

All the fish are doing well. One of the turquoise rainbows lost the display contest and keeps to himself. I tried to get him a mate, but the 1/2 off sale was over. I also picked up a New Guinea Rainbow fish. He's orange to red.

So glad I stopped the waterfall. I can think again. It has to be a headache for the fish when it gets like that.

About the plants. Brazilian, Ozelot red and green along with the melon sword plants are doing very well. The Radican swords are alive with new growth and the anubias was shooting out new leaves weekly.

Will have to do a water change next time. The NO3 will be 40-60 and I don;t want to lose control. The system still is not stable. Add increase the load a good 30-40%. I still require the use of PO4 removal pads, NO3 removal pads and want them because they also remove ammonia and heavy metals.

I guess it's time to feed the plants...

Good luck with your new plants. Make sure they get some bright lights and don't keep moving them. The roots will get damaged and the plants may stay in a state of shock. Move things in about 4-6 weeks and let the roots grow.

Yes. I also have three. 1 in orange and red, 1 is emerald green and yellow, the other is silver.

To be honest, if you can't buy fish from a reputable dealer/breeder, you pretty much can count on a mixed bag.

Thanks for the post.

Here are the three "New Guinea" Rainbow Fish.

Also in there are the Turquoise Rainbow.
Als in the picture is the Australian Rainbow that's going to be awesome when he grows up. the Turquoise Rainbow already have great colors. Fish in Picture #2 is female. I saw her Spawn.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 93
Thanks. They are about 7 bucks at the BBS. The males get a yellow orange stripe on their nose. Not aggressive. Fast growers. Good community fish with colors.

Water Test 11-01-2012

Temp 80
PH 7.5
GH 180
KH 120
NO2 0
NO3 10
PO4 .5
Ammonia 0

Got a surprise with my water change. The NO3 dropped more than I expected. I did a 40% change. The tested the water. Fish are doing well. Gotten do a little algae removal before it gets out of hand.

All the plants are spewing out bubbles. Not just the bubbles that come with the splashing of a water change, but they are emitting straight line of bubbles. I've seen a few plants do this before, but every plant in the tank is doing this. Kind of cool looking, makes the water look dirty. I think maybe the leaves are taking in water. I might be expecting a rush of growth.

Not all plants are doing well 2 of my anubias are losing leaves. One of the rhizomes looks to be rotted. I think these are the few I bought that were not the submersed types. Not all anubias are true aquatic. Some are better off with leaves above water. They are more shoreline plants.

Next time I will be removing the driftwood and give them a good cleaning. I would like a few more tall plants for the back. The pictures show the tank as it is. Totally out of balance. I'll get the pictures another time.

Water Test 11-06-2012

Temp 76
PH 7.5
GH 180
KH 120
NO2 0
NO3 20
PO4 .5
Ammonia 0

I figured out what was killing the anubias. The rhizome was buried and rotted out. I corrected all the plants and hopefully the leaf loss will end. The Wisteria grew about 3 inches in five days. The plant also became bushy. It's a beautiful plant. If I had known how great it was going to look, I would have purchased several more. The one I have is a narrow leaf. It might even be a water sprite. It's completely different looking than the wisteria I purchased at petco. Those have wide leaves and not nearly as attractive.

All the fish are alive and well.

Still battling algae. I'll have to deal with it. After seeing all these pictures with string type algae, green water and other really cool looking "things" that are generally unwanted, I am leery of dosing with excel as a way to deal with it. The algae is mainly on the anubias. As for scraping the glass, I am going to scrape once a week. Most other plants aren't as effected.

I really enjoy having such a large fish tank.

Here are the wisteria. The ones on the left and right are store bought. The one in the middle was purchased online through AZ Gardens. I would like more of that plant.

I also have a video of my angel fish having an argument. I've seen it before. He isn;t physically fighting with her, it's more like he's yelling at her. He uses gestures too. This fight happened after they spawned and eat the eggs. I have no idea what his saying, but he's clearly upset.

Angelfish - YouTube

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 100
You my friend are very patient and methodical. Congrates on your dedication. Tagging in to follow along.

Water Test 11-12-2012

Temp 80
PH 7.5
GH 180
KH 120
NO2 0
NO3 10
PO4 .5
Ammonia 0

40% water change and added some K, I and trace minerals. Plants are doing well. Fish are fine. Glass is clean. There's not much that need to be done today. The right side of the tank is filling in nicely. The Balensae crypts are getting taller and are what's making that 1/3 of the tank looking nice. I would like more red plants. Hope to get some ordered eventually.

Nothing really going on here today. I notice I missed a spot when cleaning the front glass. Some of my sword plants look larger than they did a week ago. One of my Turquoise Rainbow males is all lit up and has had his stripe on all day and no one to play with. They female is either too young or just no interested. The poor guy. It's the smaller one too.

Thursday a LFS gets a new shipment of fish in. SUnday I hope to get a few more fish since they are all 50% off. Anytime I can pick up a $12.00 fish for $6 I should jump on it. Hopefully, I'll see a male. The Turquoise fish are also on sale and would like 2-3 more. Australian rainbows for .99. And if they got em another Dennison Barb for $6.09.

Would like to trade a few fish. 1 Dennison Barb 2 Angelfish 1 Redtail shark and 2 flying foxes, but they haven't seen a net in a while and there's no reason to scare everyone. They are home.

Water Test 11-19-2012

Temp 82
PH 7.5
GH 180
KH 120
NO2 0
NO3 10
PO4 .5
Ammonia 0

Making Progress on the Nitrates. Still within the 10ppm range, and I'm fairly certain it's close. 40% water change today. Brought the water temp up from 74 degrees and bought a new 300 watt heater. petsmart had a deal. It was only $27.00. I figured it would only keep dropping over night. Put the 200 watt into storage.

Welcomed my new fish 2 Turquoise Rainbows and 1 Bosemani male. He was hanging out in the water sprite but has started exploring the tank. It looks like I have 3 male turquoise and 2 females. Will verify over the next week. I know there are at least 2 males and one female as they were trying to hook up. I have until Saturday to school up the Australian and Bosemani Rainbows for a total of $14.00. After that it will have to wait as the cost shoots up to $29.00.

Plants are still around. No recent leaf losses. Many of the plants are taking in water again after the water change. It's a sign of new growth about to occur. About to add some Potassium and trace element. I was reading a bottle of leaf zone at the store. It's Potassium and Iron. Almost bought a copper test kit for $9.00, but it's only useful during medical dosing as too much copper can kill fish.

I need some new phosphate media. The stuff have is looking kinda beat. Going to give the ammonia pad a try too at some point. There's more money that I'm going to need to get home with. Hopefully I haven't over spent and according to my math I am ahead and may have a decent start to the Vegas trip where I only need a car and a NCAA tourney bankroll.

I retested the water. The NO3 is closer to 20ppm. That would mean that the NO3 prior to water change was in the high 30's. So, I'm thinking a Thanksgiving water change is in store. Ammonia is at 0.

Also, I have 2 male turquoise and 3 females.
That didn't take long.

Water Test 11-26-2012

Temp 82
PH 7.5
GH 180
KH 120
NO2 0
NO3 10
PO4 .5
Ammonia 0

The NO3 is officially down to 10ppm. 50% water change today and I cleaned my filters after the water change of course. I picked up a new heater. One of my aponogetons that was taking in water last week sent up a runner. My 3 new lily bulbs have sprouted. Everything is doing well. I still have a good looking 1/3 of a tank. I need more background plants. Algae still an issue, but with the NO3 at the proper level, I'll have to go back and read up to see if there's more i can do to stop this. It's not nearly as bad as it was 4 months ago.

Thanks again for providing this free website and again to all the members who share their experiences and assistance. I couldn't have do it with you it.

Looks like I'll be returning the new heater I purchase, I'm unhappy with the performance. The tank has settled in at 76 degrees and I just think the brand of heater is weak. It says rated for 65 gallons and may not be strong enough to heat up the 125 gallons of water. This isn't too bad. I already have 30 bucks invested in a heater so another 10 isn't going to hurt too much.

Back
Top Bottom