110gallon tank has a few fish in it now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trena

Aquarium Advice Activist
Transferred only my scopas tang, my clarkia clownfish and my Fiji blue devil damsel.

Attachments

• image-930132936.jpg
    image-930132936.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 136
Very nice. :)

just keep an eye on parameters for a few days, whenever i transfer a tank I do it just in case.

Good luck!

Ok. My lfs said that the tank will still need to cycle so to watch it over the next couple of weeks.

If you used rock from an existing tank you shouldnt have a cycle at all. I do it all the time. In fact just moved a biocube and a 20g into a 60g cube and used mostly my live rock with some base rock. It's been a week or two and no spikes or any blips in ammonia or nitrites.

The majority of your biological filtration is done by the live rock so when you move it you automatically have some beneficial bacteria to break down the ammonia etc...

The trick now is to let the tank adjust and not add a bunch of fish as that will most likely over whelm the bacteria and you'll get spikes which as you know can kill your fish. :)

patience is key here.

that's true, to an extent. The bacteria is already on your rocks and that will do the breaking down of the ammonia. In time the bioballs will also have the bacteria on them and when that happens you will have a solid biological filter. :)

That's what he was telling me. I will be testing for nitrites frequently to try to monitor it.

Looks good trena. Are you planning on getting more live rock? And are you doing a reef tank or fowlr?

Hope this is okay to join in here. I just started a 125 fowlr and wanted evaluation and suggestions on my filtration. I thought this would work great but the bio filtration seems weak. I have a 35 gallon Eshopps WD-300 CS sump with, I think about 10 gallons of bio balls. I have 100 pounds of sand, about 50 pounds of live rock, a Coralife Super Skimmer 220, and added 2 liters of Pond Matrix to my sump almost 2 weeks ago. Shouldn't this be really good filtration? Is there something I'm missing or need to add? To make a long story short... If anything causes an amonia spike it's like I it goes through another mini-cycle. Forgot to mention that I added about 2 pounds of nitrate sponge about a week ago. I have a yellow tail damsel, an emerald crab that came in on the live rock (about 4 weeks ago) and a Calico crab. I don't think I'm over feeding but still... Shouldn't this handle a few pieces of left over food?

How long ago did you start this tank? It's probably just still working out the cycle.

Trena said:
How long ago did you start this tank? It's probably just still working out the cycle.

About 2 months I think... I was starting to write the details of everything that happened, then realized I might have pushed too fast.

Back
Top Bottom