12 gal. Nano at 10 weeks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MKFMedic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Everyone!

Here are a few pictures and an update on my Nano Tank which was started about 10 weeks ago. So far, so good.. My water parameters all seem to be holding steady, my fish and coral all seem to be healthy and it has been a real joy to have this tank in my office. I must say that I probably stare at the tank more than I watch T.V.! Sorry about the quality of the pics, these are all hand held in a dark room.

I have a wide variety in my clean up crew which seems to do a great job keeping my reef clean. The CUC includes a variety of crabs including 2 emeralds, and three hermits. I have a fire shrimp which just molted, and a variety of snails including two nassarius, two turbo, and a couple of others that I can't recall their names. My fish include a Percula, a Watchman Goby and a Purple Fire Fish. As you can see in the pictures I have quite a variety of coral pieces that all seem to be doing well.

Something new that I have noticed is the addition of several small white ant looking creatures crawling all over my coral. I have no idea what they are, so any help would be appreciated. I would try to take a picture, but they are tiny.

Thanks for looking, for all of the great advice and support I have received in my new adventure. It is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1804.jpg
    IMG_1804.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_1810.jpg
    IMG_1810.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_1811.jpg
    IMG_1811.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_1813.jpg
    IMG_1813.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 386
Looking good. What sort of lighting do you have over the tank, T5s? Is it rimless or a biocube?

Also what do you do for maintenance and filtration? lol I like knowing specs of tanks :)

Looking good. What sort of lighting do you have over the tank, T5s? Is it rimless or a biocube?

Also what do you do for maintenance and filtration? lol I like knowing specs of tanks :)

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

My tanks is a JBJ Nano Cube DX 12 gal. I'm using the blue white lights that came with the tank, and so far, they seem to be doing the job. For filtration, I threw out the ceramic rings, bio balls and sponges. I added a "Stevie T" media rack in the first chamber with filter floss, Chem Pure and Purigen products. In the second chamber I have charcoal that came with the tank. In the third chamber, I have a 50w heater and the pump.

My routine involves changing the water every week. I change the filter floss every 5 days or so and as needed. The other products are supposedly good for three to four months on a 20 gallon tank. I imagine bio load and other factors matter, but I plan to switch out the Chem Pure and Purigen at around three months.

Everything is still doing fine, with the exception of my starburst polyp (Middle Right), I just posted in the Sick Coral forum for advice or information.

Thanks again,

Mike

How are your temps in your nano? im looking at buying this setup & doing close to the same thing. I've been reading about higher than avg temps in these things even with the feeder flap open?

The temperature usually remains pretty constant at 80F. It may vary from time to time by a degree, but I have never seen it above 81, or below 78. I live on the coast, in Southern California, so we don't really see a lot of extreme temperatures one way or the other.

Since this post, everything seems to still be doing well. Water changes are the key and I'm pretty consistent about making sure to do a water change weekly.

Good luck with your tank.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom