194G IPI tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I have good news, horrible news and good news.

Good news, I had a blast at the fragathon, came home with 8 frags, 2 zoas, 1 blasto, 1 favites, 2 chalice, birds nest frag, some sort of plating lps, not a chalice.

Horrible news, my clowns went on a killing spree last night, they killed everyone...my blenny, 6 line and blue assessor. I'm so sad, they were all dead in a pile. The assessor was the worst his fins ripped to shreds. I checked all the parameters of course and everything was normal, not to mention the shrimp, clam and corals were all as happy as can be. The way they have been acting, I think the clowns are going to lay eggs and claimed the whole cube theirs. I'm still in shock. These clowns are the breeding pair that came with my 72, they never showed any aggression until they were in the 29.

Good news (who wants to end on that right?), I love the engineer goby. He is so awesome. I have him in a 10gallon QT but it has rock in there from the 72. He is 5-6" long. I think he will be the first in the big tank once it is stable.

What a day. Slowly adding water to the tank, only about 200 gallons to go :( I ordered a permeate pump so I won't waste so much water. Then I will fill faster, until then I don't want to flood my septic.

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your fish! thats just horrible. I dont believe a little pair of clowns could kill all those fish, what an eye opener. I'll be watching mine now just wondering if they are gonna snap one day....

Again, Lefty, really sorry....

carey said:
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your fish! thats just horrible. I dont believe a little pair of clowns could kill all those fish, what an eye opener. I'll be watching mine now just wondering if they are gonna snap one day....

Again, Lefty, really sorry....

I'm really wondering how a breeding pair does long term in a cube with other fish. Mine are full grown, the female is about 4". It was horrible they were in a pile under the rock. The only thing I can come up with is the cube is a little warmer than the 72, I'm wondering if that triggers spawning at all? And I had a moon light led on except for that night I forgot to plug it back in.

I'm still trying not to think about it.

Today I am painting the hood and continuing to slowly fill the tank, 3" down 20 something to go. I named the clowns...Bonnie and Clyde.

Inch by inch is how you gotta look at it I guess. LOL Eventually it will be filled up. :)

What color are you going with for the stand again, I totally missed that part. :)

carey said:
Inch by inch is how you gotta look at it I guess. LOL Eventually it will be filled up. :)

What color are you going with for the stand again, I totally missed that part. :)

I am putting kilz on the inside then the outside I'm staining to match the woodwork in my house.

you mean the stairs, floors and trim or the actual furniture? i personally wouldn't stain it the color of the floors and stairs i would go with wa color that contrasts well with those colors. a dark mahogony seems to go well with most dacor, but at the same time i may be biased as i like the dark colors in my surroundings rather then the bright colors

The trim is white, the railing is a mix of white and stained oak. It matches that and our cabinets in the same room.

6" to go in the tank, that's 44.4 gallons, and about 60 gallons in the sump left to fill. I added salt and have been letting it mix so I can put the rock in and see how much displacement I get.

Question, if I have bubble algae on my rock, will it go away if I don't put a light in the sump?

if its fresh water with no crap in it i believe it will eventually die off. or you can out it in a bucket and scrape the algae off so it doesn't get transfered through the new system

Gti_Leo said:
if its fresh water with no crap in it i believe it will eventually die off. or you can out it in a bucket and scrape the algae off so it doesn't get transfered through the new system

No it's in my temporary tanks with the fish and corals. I can put it in a bucket once I move over the base rock I've been curing since November. If I just "cook" it in there with no light I guess that would achieve the same thing but not kill the creatures?

hmm possibly, i've had a bunch of algaes sittign in a rock bucket for months with no light and none of it has shrivvled away yet so i wouldn't exactly rely on that. i would kill it off and starve the bubble algae of food. stick it in a bucket of dirty water you removed during a PWC and scrub it off, then put it in a clean bucket and scrub more off if it comes back

Gti_Leo said:
hmm possibly, i've had a bunch of algaes sittign in a rock bucket for months with no light and none of it has shrivvled away yet so i wouldn't exactly rely on that. i would kill it off and starve the bubble algae of food. stick it in a bucket of dirty water you removed during a PWC and scrub it off, then put it in a clean bucket and scrub more off if it comes back

Okay, it sounds like scrape and rinse then. The cube is showing some brown hair algae, when I start moving things over, can I do the same? It strangles/suffocates my corals in there. I've been wiping it off. I have a feeling I know why my blenny was so fat all the time. But I don't know if I will get another, he had such a personality.

Good question, I'd like to know the answer too. :) I was planning on adding one to my next build since it has loc line but was unsure if i should.

Sorry I don't have the answer but youre not alone with your question. LOL

Well, I got an answer from the place I ordered my tank, the cultured reef in FL, Dick says yes! So I will put a hole in each and retest before adding the last if the water to get the siphon going.

Well, one went great, the other loc line snapped off IN my bulkhead when I was trying to remove it. A little bit of surgery later and I was at least able to save my bulkhead. Need one new loc line and to put a hole in it and return will be all set. I had a minor leak on the overflow piping, thankfully in a relatively easy to get to area, just didn't tighten something enough. So I'll let her run and check again for any more leaks.

image-1782342502.jpg

My rock work, I'm going to get a few more pieces of the tonga and it will be done. Sump is full of LR, but I can fit a little more when I move the other two tanks in. Slowly coming together, I have an ammonia badge in there do I can see if/when ammonia starts to show up.

Back
Top Bottom