21g Wall Mounted SW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think those are t5s. I have 65w power compacts. You can really actually have most things, but the more light demanding it is, the higher it needs to be placed up.

You may want to get rid of the tomato clown. Keeping three clowns in a tank that small will not end well. You will have aggression issues, and that tomato will get too big for that tank to begin with.

You may want to get rid of the tomato clown. Keeping three clowns in a tank that small will not end well. You will have aggression issues, and that tomato will get too big for that tank to begin with.

I was wondering myself. The tomato clown is very small and cute though. Lol.

GoldieLocks1 said:
I was wondering myself. The tomato clown is very small and cute though. Lol.

Small and cute sometimes grow up to be big and mean.LOL
I had one and he started chasing and harassing all the other fish.Traded him in.

Small and cute sometimes grow up to be big and mean.LOL
I had one and he started chasing and harassing all the other fish.Traded him in.

If you buy the clown fish together, even if they are in a seperate tank at the store. Will they get along?

GoldieLocks1 said:
If you buy the clown fish together, even if they are in a seperate tank at the store. Will they get along?

Usually, if they are the same type and you make sure one is larger than the other.The larger one will be or become the female.

When you add three clowns to a small tank such as this, two of them will pair up, and the third will be the odd man out. In a bigger tank, the OP may have been fine, but there will be territorial issues between the pair and the tomato. If you leave them be for a few weeks, you probably won't have a pretty ending.

This from Fish lore
Saltwater Fish Species Profile and Care Information
Scientific Name : Amphiprion frenatus
Common Names : Tomato Clownfish, Anemone Fish, Red Clownfish, Bridled Clownfish

Care Level : Easy to Moderate, can become territorial and aggressive.

Size : 5 inches (13 cm)

pH : 8 - 8.4

Temperature : 72°F - 80°F (22°C - 27°C)

Specific Gravity : 1.020 - 1.024

Lifespan : 6 - 8 years

Origin / Habitat : Indo-Pacific to Oceania

Temperament / Behavior : Can be peaceful but will become aggressive with other fish that approach it's space. Avoid mixing the various clown species. If you have a mix of different clown species in your tank, they will fight. If you have a host anemone in the aquarium with them, they will defend it. It usually works out best if you have only one or a pair of clowns in your tank.

Breeding / Mating / Reproduction : They have been bred in captivity and it is usually better to buy a tank raised fish because they will adapt better in the home aquarium.

Tank Size : 30 gallon minimum

Compatible Tank Mates : Avoid keeping them in an aquarium with Lionfish, Snappers, Groupers, Triggers, Eels or any other predatory fish large enough to eat them. Keep only one clown species in your aquarium. Do not mix the various clown species.

Reef Tank Compatible? : The clownfishes should do well in reef tanks. They may pose a problem with other clownfish species, so watch closely.

Fish Disease : Saltwater Fish Disease - Diagnose, Symptoms and Treatment, use a quarantine tank.

Diet / Fish Food : Omnivore - provide a varied diet with live food, frozen food and they will also accept flake food.

Tank Region : All over

Gender : All are males when they are born. As they mature and start to pair off the dominant one will change into a female. The female is usually larger than the male and will be the primary defender of their territory.

Gallery Photos : Tomato Clownfish Photos

Compatible Anemones : Bubble Tip Anemone (Rose Anemone) (Entacmaea quadricolor)
Pizza or Carpet Anemone (Cryptodendrum adhaesivum)
Clownfish Anemone Chart

Recommended Book : Clownfishes Guide to Captive Care and Breeding

More Clownfish Species :
Clownfish Species
Ocellaris Clownfish
Maroon Clownfish

Thats what counts if/when they show signs of stress, only then would i worry. for now sit back and enjoy all your hard work

Grizz said:
Thats what counts if/when they show signs of stress, only then would i worry. for now sit back and enjoy all your hard work

Thanks for the info I will be watching that tomato close, thanks again

Some pic of the tank, tang will be going to my 39g next mo

Attachments

• image-610674975.jpg
    image-610674975.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 66
  • image-2852639900.jpg
    image-2852639900.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 64
  • image-220848755.jpg
    image-220848755.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 63
  • image-756570513.jpg
    image-756570513.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 71
  • image-4121495259.jpg
    image-4121495259.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 68
  • image-2681747267.jpg
    image-2681747267.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 62
  • image-598976623.jpg
    image-598976623.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 66
  • image-4231137955.jpg
    image-4231137955.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 65
I love blue hippo tangs. I wish they would stay that small forever! I have one in my 75g that is about an inch and he is so lively! I'm keeping mine until it's about 5-6 inches then in selling it back to my lfs.

Unfortunately, by the time fish start to show signs of stress such as ich, cottony growths, lack of eating, and fin rot, it is already too late, and you have done your damage. Just a friendly warning, that tang will get too big for your 39g. I suggest you take the tang back, as well as the tomato if you don't plan on putting it in the 39g provided there are no other clowns in there as well.

slitherbomb said:
I love blue hippo tangs. I wish they would stay that small forever! I have one in my 75g that is about an inch and he is so lively! I'm keeping mine until it's about 5-6 inches then in selling it back to my lfs.

I'll do the same with mine or I mite go bigger with a 90g, I love them.

Back
Top Bottom