29g Mixed Reef (sumpless)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks guys, now i just have to save up and get my 180g back like i been planning. That could be awhile tho lol.

Great tank! I am working on turning my 29 gallon into a mixed reef. I don't have any reactors on my tank so maybe thats the difference. but other than that I'm guessing you're very good at looking after your tank. Could you let us in on your secret? Do you dose with anything? What maintenance regime do you follow? etc.

Aiden said:
Great tank! I am working on turning my 29 gallon into a mixed reef. I don't have any reactors on my tank so maybe thats the difference. but other than that I'm guessing you're very good at looking after your tank. Could you let us in on your secret? Do you dose with anything? What maintenance regime do you follow? etc.

No dosing.

The biggest thing i do that most people dont is siphon my sand bed during water changes and use only skimmer and live rock. No filter socks, no canisters or wet/dry filter, no power filter. The reactor is used as a combo GFO/carbon reactor.

Stable and proper parameters.

Schism said:
No dosing.

The biggest thing i do that most people dont is siphon my sand bed during water changes and use only skimmer and live rock. No filter socks, no canisters or wet/dry filter, no power filter. The reactor is used as a combo GFO/carbon reactor.

Stable and proper parameters.

Interesting so no part 1&2 or A&B? Nothing?

I've read many threads and articles where people don't do anything BUT a water change and there tanks looks awesome as yours does as well.

This peaks my interest. So you don't use all 101 Kent products or any of there counter parts?

Too many to list lol but you know what I'm talking about.

Again man GREAT looking tank!

Convict2161 said:
Interesting so no part 1&2 or A&B? Nothing?

I've read many threads and articles where people don't do anything BUT a water change and there tanks looks awesome as yours does as well.

This peaks my interest. So you don't use all 101 Kent products or any of there counter parts?

Too many to list lol but you know what I'm talking about.

Again man GREAT looking tank!

Nope. Dosing comes with disadvantages and if you can avoid it you should. Only thing i use besides salt mix is occasional buffer and small amount of Kalk in ATO reservoir.

Water changes and kalk should be able to maintain 90% of tanks. Many people are sucked into the marketing and believe that they need to dose 2-part or trace elements etc. and 90% of the time its totally unnecessary.

I maintain calcium around 460ppm and alk around 10-11 dKh.

Schism said:
Nope. Dosing comes with disadvantages and if you can avoid it you should. Only thing i use besides salt mix is occasional buffer and small amount of Kalk in ATO reservoir.

Water changes and kalk should be able to maintain 90% of tanks. Many people are sucked into the marketing and believe that they need to dose 2-part or trace elements etc. and 90% of the time its totally unnecessary.

I maintain calcium around 460ppm and alk around 10-11 dKh.

Awesome info! I fell for all the hype in the magazines etc thinking I needed every bottle necessary but looking at your tank I'm rethinking that theory. Absolutely amazing tank! More pics? Video?

Great looking tank. Is that a Montipora (orange plate coral) in the mddle? I have been trying to find some frags to get some growing in my 29 gallon.

AquariumAddiction said:
Great looking tank. Is that a Montipora (orange plate coral) in the mddle? I have been trying to find some frags to get some growing in my 29 gallon.

Yes actually red thought i used to have an orange but sold it. Red Montipora Capricornis.

Convict2161 said:
Awesome info! I fell for all the hype in the magazines etc thinking I needed every bottle necessary but looking at your tank I'm rethinking that theory. Absolutely amazing tank! More pics? Video?

Yeah bottles of promises are a fish store invention. At a fish store usually they will tell you a different bottle you need for every problem you have. Bottles dont solve anything and rarely helpful. Only bottle i have in my closet is Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter7 which has a few uses.

I really like what you have done with this tank. The corals look so healthy. Glad to see everything did so well with the power outage.

Convict2161 said:

Thanks Convict, i'll have to do a video sometime, not sure what you wanna see though.

NightHawk-33 said:
Very nice looking tank and rockwork. Btw where did you get your LR from? Very nice pieces..

Live-rock was purchased from a local reefer.

severum mama said:
I really like what you have done with this tank. The corals look so healthy. Glad to see everything did so well with the power outage.

Thank you, im pretty sure this tank can make it through anything now lol.

Schism said:
Thank you, im pretty sure this tank can make it through anything now lol.

IMO, it's never the tank that's bullet-proof, it's the dedication of the owner! :)

Flreefer said:
IMO, it's never the tank that's bullet-proof, it's the dedication of the owner! :)

Lol my wife read that and she thinks i love my tank more than her. I refused to comment lol.

Schism said:
Thanks Convict, i'll have to do a video sometime, not sure what you wanna see though.

Would like to just see it ya know with flow and movement make that bad boy really come to life. The pics are amazing. I could only imagine what a video would look like. I'm just a big YouTube buff too. Would love to see up on the screen lol.

Schism said:
Lol my wife read that and she thinks i love my tank more than her. I refused to comment lol.

Haha, I'm in the same boat, different paddle Schism!! Dedication is a pretty universal thing though, and I'm sure it applies to wives as well. Lol. :)

Convict2161 said:
Would like to just see it ya know with flow and movement make that bad boy really come to life. The pics are amazing. I could only imagine what a video would look like. I'm just a big YouTube buff too. Would love to see up on the screen lol.

Lol yeah i might be able to get a video sometime soon here. Ill let you know when i get one up when i have some time. Maybe ill go on a video making craze lol.

Back
Top Bottom