300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just added a Bubble Magnus roller prefilter system since I’ve never faired well with socks in this old aquarium. It works deluxe. I’m wondering if anyone has tried rewashing the fleece and then rewinding it back onto a roll for reuse? OK! I’m cheap.

I wish Greg. I have two filter socks for my tank...that's it. They get a lot of rinsing out. Those rollers thankfully won't fit in the red sea sump...because those rollers are pricey. But I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to hit them with a hose or run it through a washing machine somehow. Depends how the fleece is attached.

I can't really answer your question directly but I will say that reusability is one of the keys to sustaining people in the hobby (IMO). With the costs of equipment being an issue to many, not having to re-buy products continuously but better occasionally, will help keep manufacturers in a hobbyist's favor and loyalty. It has with me at least. So I don' t think you are cheap but more, practical. (y)

I have come to love the Bubble Magus ARF-1. For $200 one of the best values I have found. You can really customize this thing. It works brilliantly. No more socks, ever! Amazing amount of filth lifted right out of the water.

The KH Guardian pro however was a miserable purchase. Stay away. Almost as bad as the defunct Mindstream monitor. Thank heavens I didn’t get burned on that one as I was a early Kickstart funder.

View attachment 315203

Yes, that is a custom OceanSwipe 360 robot cleaning the tank. More later.

In the last six months;

AI lighting
New calcium reactor
Dual C02 scrubbers on protein skimmer
Bubble Magnus filter roller
ReefBot water testing robot
OseanSwipe 360 cleaning robot.

I’ve been busy. And am broke. Tank responding well to changes.
More later.

Am really loving the ReefBot. After a bit of a false start, it is functioning well and caught my Kalkwasser reactor getting the KH too high again. Monitor is showing the KH going down about .2 every 24 hours as I correct it. I’m running ALK, P04, MG and CAL now and can switch out vials and run Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Copper and Iodine whenever I want. This is basically a low cost titration lab machine purposed to using off shelf aquarium test kits. I’ll do more reviews later.

Last edited:
IMG_9068.jpg

Yes, that is a custom OceanSwipe 360 cleaning robot on the old reef. It goes around the 45 and the 90 degree corners. My arthritis has made this a necessity.

Hey Greg ,... hope you’re well and still around here on the forum !
Anything new and crazy going on lately with the tank setup ?

IMG_3359.jpg

Hello again.
Building a new retirement home and retiring the 33 year old 300 gallon outside corner reek and moving my 25 year old fish to the new 400 gallon Planet Ocean peninsula tank. All new equipment and a glass tank. 71 years old I am and I must have my head examined. Just filling it with water later today. I’ll keep my old cronies posted.

View attachment 325141

Hello again.
Building a new retirement home and retiring the 33 year old 300 gallon outside corner reek and moving my 25 year old fish to the new 400 gallon Planet Ocean peninsula tank. All new equipment and a glass tank. 71 years old I am and I must have my head examined. Just filling it with water later today. I’ll keep my old cronies posted.

Congrats on the new home. (y)(y)
At least you'll have the old stock from the tank for the new one. Is this going to also be a reef or a fish only tank?

Sounds really great. I just sold my end game tank and am out of the hobby.
Whats the plan for the new setup? Will you be moving the separated clown tang in with general public?

Sounds really great. I just sold my end game tank and am out of the hobby.
Whats the plan for the new setup? Will you be moving the separated clown tang in with general public?

Sold the clown tang. Good memory!
Most of the fish are over 20 years old and a coral beauty is almost 30. They are friends I couldn’t leave behind.

Congrats on the new home. (y)(y)

At least you'll have the old stock from the tank for the new one. Is this going to also be a reef or a fish only tank?

Hi Andy. It’s going to be a rebuild of the old reef using most of that old rock built on a new structure. A lot more room being a peninsula.

Back
Top Bottom