300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was on another forum debating whether taotronic LEDs can cause fires. Interesting topic as I lost a LFS from a fire created by T5 ballasts that went bad. I of course supported the use of LEDs, but it made me think about overall safety. Saltwater and electricity don't play well with each other. How many of you use GFI's?

This could save your life;

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406154165.093382.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

my home is old I don't have GFI breakers but yes I did install those sockets that had breakers built in ,
I have seen saltwater hit a plug once and cause a big spark .
even though GFI isn't fully fool proof about preventing fire , they do help reduce the risk to a certain extent , any extra protection is better than none ,
I want my home rewired but the cost is way above what I can afford ,
I'm more afraid of the old cloth covered wiring in my home causing a spark
than anything from my tanks ,
looking at the wires in my home I think I'm back in the stone age ,

Hmm..
All my electrical is on one for the room, but the individual outlets aren't.. It does worry me, but I have auto shut off between smoke detectors and electricity..

You would need one gfi circuit breaker, less than $100. A submerged pump almost got me one night. Broken heater, light fixture falling in the water, bad power head, all can ruin your day. SW is far more conductive than FW.

I got my whole house re wired due to an electrical problem my skimmer leaked and the drips fell into a power socked and caught fire we have rcd in place but must not have been wired in so I called the electrican and told him what happened and after that the offered to redo my house

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's exactly what I am cautioning everyone about. SW will conduct enough electricity that a much lower amount of current does much worse damage to you than FW would.

You know, stone fish need love too. I almost stepped on this one. Reef safe, with one condition, no other fish or animal in the tank with it except maybe a big lion fish.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406348305.718164.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406348305.718164.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
They are pretty cool fish the local aquarium here has an albino one

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay, I have most of the house converted to LED bulbs. Good enough for the fish, good enough for me. Superior to fluorescent bulbs by a long shot. Still a bit pricey.

Keep a close eye on the home led lights. A friend of mine is a led home light dealer. And he has shown me light after light from your local hardware stores that will melt and start on fire. The heat sinks on the run of the mill leds can't keep up

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom