300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At the start of round three the scopace tang is agitated attacking the nori over and over again ,..the nori, beaten and tattered is just a shell of its former self ,.. The kale , doing the " rope a dope " is unscathed un marked and no worse for wear .
One must remember that this is a ten round fight so we'll just have to see what happens in the later rounds,... Stay tuned

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I bet by tomorrow morning it's gone.

I bet by tomorrow morning it's gone.

We'll see ,... Maybe my mystery crab will eat it ? ,... I called my gf and she says she'll pick up the remaining kale and will eat it !!! I saved a couple of leaves just in case in the freezer .

Well,..24 hours has passed and as expected ,100 % of the kale remains and 0 % of the nori ,.... As said before ,.nothing eats kale in San Diego :)

I guess that's that. Maybe tangs have an attitude in San Diego. Missouri tangs know to eat their greens.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I guess that's that. Maybe tangs have an attitude in San Diego. Missouri tangs know to eat their greens.

Lol. Those Tennessee tangs like it once its cooked in a pounds of bacon and fat back! :lol:

I never figured that out. Bacon was great on its own without the weeds. My family loved it. I thought it tasted like lawn clippings with bacon added. And a dash of vinegar. Very confusing. Maybe I should be the one eating more nori.

I never figured that out. Bacon was great on its own without the weeds. My family loved it. I thought it tasted like lawn clippings with bacon added. And a dash of vinegar. Very confusing. Maybe I should be the one eating more nori.

LOL. No your right there. Bacon is definitely great on its on, its just some greens taste better with some ham or bacon added into it to cut back on the super strong "green" taste. I don't know a lot of people personally who do like greens, but if cooked right, I will definitely eat some. Would I rather have bacon on its own? Why of course! Anyday...

Okay, my verdict is in.

I have run his reef for +16 years with 1000 watts of MH and about 200 watts of actinic.

It grew coral fine, but at that time I didn't have a Hanna P4 meter, or a modern efficient protein skimmer nor had I discovered using Phosgard (my favorite phosphate scrubber). SPS were difficult for me to keep long term. I would have bursts of growth, usually after relamping the MH and big water exchanges. But long term, not so much.

I then discovered the cheap LEDs and with much grief given to me on line, I threw the MH away and committed to cheap Chinese technology. I ran them for over three years. Hard corals responded great and grew nicely, But as usual, I got bored. So as I have mentioned earlier, I decided to build my dream LED fixtures.

After about two years since I started using full spectrum LED in my frag tank. I liked what I saw there, so about 4 months ago I built fixtures for the main reef. I am astounded at how much faster the hard corals are growing. The full spectrum lights with the lenses look like they don't put out as much light as the Chinese panels did, but that would be a mistaken assumption. My best estimate is the corals are growing 20% faster under these light.

I'm still a big fan of the value these chinese panels represent, but I have seen with my own eyes that these panels with 5 watt Cree LEDs with lenses are superior, the added blue spectrum (UV) enhances the color and sure doesn't seem to be hurting growth. Just my observations and I am in no way discounting the value of the Chinese panels.

Last edited:
Okay, my verdict is in.

I have run his reef for +16 years with 1000 watts of MH and about 200 watts of actinic.

It grew coral fine, but at that time I didn't have a Hanna P4 meter, or a modern efficient protein skimmer nor had I discovered using Phosgard (my favorite phosphate scrubber). SPS were difficult for me to keep long term. I would have bursts of growth, usually after relamping the MH and big water exchanges. But long term, not so much.

I then discovered the cheap LEDs and with much grief given to me on line, I threw the MH away and committed to cheap Chinese technology. I ran them for over three years. Hard corals responded great and grew nicely, But as usual, I got bored. So as I have mentioned earlier, I decided to build my dream LED fixtures.

After about two years since I started using full spectrum LED in my frag tank. I liked what I saw there, so about 4 months ago I built fixtures for the main reef. I am astounded at how much faster the hard corals are growing. The full spectrum lights with the lenses look like they don't put out as much light as the Chinese panels did, but that would be a mistaken assumption. My best estimate is the corals are growing 20% faster under these light.

I'm still a big fan of the value these chinese panels represent, but I have seen with my own eyes that these panels with 5 watt Cree LEDs with lenses are superior, the added blue spectrum (UV) enhances the color and sure doesn't seem to be hurting growth. Just my observations and I am in no way discounting the value of the Chinese panels.

Very good to hear, glad your newly built light are doing good for you. I didn't realize they were 5w leds, very cool.

Okay, my verdict is in.

I got to laugh a little at this and just because of the statement " ..I got bored " ,.... I think we all know the situation you're describing , you really get into something and it's perfectly fine as it is , BUT you have the knowledge , the ability and the desire to improve or just start tweaking things to experiment with,...We do things like this all the time in my field ( fishing ) either tweaking jigs,reels ,rods etc not they need any tweaking but just because we get a little " bored" .lol
My latest tweak is my trusty ol' motorcycle,..it's perfectly fine as it stands BUT for the last 30+ years I've always wanted a " trike " sooooooo a few weeks ago I started the build,..parts and pieces are just now starting to arrive , maybe like you and the led's its Dary and his trike ,... It's funny cuz as you get a little older the desire for your toys is still there ,.its just a lot more expensive .
As always , I love hearing about your setup and your new toys !

Hey thanks for that greg !!! After riding and having a bike for the last 48 years I think it's time to convert the ol beast into a trike and check it off the bucket list ,living in San Diego the weather is very suitable for bike riding almost year long so that in itself is a real plus.
Needless to say ,.its going to be a rather pricey project so the reef will have to maintain on the equipment it's currently using for awhile , fortunately the reef us running on all cylinders so I do not foresee any problem,..its a nice feeling to know that all your hard work has paid off and things are going smoothly ( Knock on wood ) ps I switched over to tropic Marin pro reef salt a couple of months ago and love it.

Do you think the new growth may be because of the higher PAR, or the violet light? I guess that's the same thing... I mean, this violet light is over 400 nm correct?

420-430nm is what they spec the "UV" at. As to your question, I'm not sure. PAR measurements aren't that different from the Chinese panels, but the lensing makes the light more directional. Shadows are deeper and the look is more contrasty. My guess is that the additional colors aren't making that big a difference except to my eyes. But the extra power and lenses may be the difference.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom