300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My theory is it is a mastic like gum Arabic. Used in lots of different consumables. Cheap. But the food itself is freeze dried I think.

Look at what we pay for this stuff. We are paying in bulk $.43 per gram on Amazon. Per gram. About 10% of that is the masstick binder. So if you made a blend of freeze dried prepared foods, ground it fine and added the masstick you would be ahead. Question is which foods.

This is what they say on their web site;

Because Masstick is comprised mainly of freeze-dried crustaceans, it does not contain fish skeletons and is thus very low in phosphates compared to its protein content.

Product characteristics
Masstick is made with the freshest and highest quality ingredients. The blend consists mainly of shrimp (Palaemonetes varians) that we produce ourselves, harvested in the “Veta La Palma” Natural Space, and which are immediately freeze-dried to maintain optimum nutritional value. Freeze-dried microalgae and macroalgae are also added to the blend to satisfy the nutritional needs of a wide variety of marine fish.

Masstick provides an essential source of proteins, lipids rich in fatty acids EPA, ARA and DHA, vitamins and carbohydrates, from natural sources of marine origin.

My little squirrel fish has been getting a little braver as the days go by and hangs out very closely to where the other fish are ganging up on the masstick , every now and then he’ll dart in and take a chew ,...funny to watch but good to see!!
By your report it sounds nutritious., glad you discovered it for us .

Making the first test batches of Uncle Greg’s Mastic Fish Food this weekend. Using freeze dried ingredients.

Just got a new order of masstick in the mail today. I'm pretty interested in how this experiment goes. Not sure how I'd get my hands on what was needed to accomplish this, but I'd give it a shot.

Several times I’ve let KH get out of control. Maybe the big acro colony making it vary so much.
Just ordered the Neptune KH Guardian Pro. It should finally automate KH. Will report in.

I have been screwing up KH for years. Too little, too much, back and forth. It was not linear. It also caused much damage. I decided to give this a try.

Those new ats lights look pretty nice. I am still using clamp lamps myself but may make the switch to leds in the future.

Okay. The KH Guardian Pro works well. It’s basically a little robot that tests a water sample every 3 hours. It is tracking and stabilizing my KH perfectly. It also gave me a ph reading that is surprisingly low. Increased my Kalkwassser dosing and looking forwards to cooler weather so I can open up the house.

Verdict is in. If you are careful mixing your reagents and sodium bicarb solution, this thing is spot on. My days of varying KH are over. I can recommend this device.

Back
Top Bottom