36 Gal Bow Front reef Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goobe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, really new to this forum so i decided to post my aquarium

Ive been into saltwater aquariums for about 7 months now and i got into aquariums about a year ago. i started out with a 20 gal aquarium and about 2 months ago i went and bought a 36 gal. i havnt posted my tank since i really want happy with my rock work. but just recently i bought 12 more pounds of LR and im happy to say that my tanks good enough to show to you guys!
anyways heres my tank Right now the waters a little cloudy bc i just put the rocks in.
img3826.jpg

i guess ill go through a rundown of my tank
Filters :
2 simple aquatech hang off the back filters
Ehiem Prof II canister filter
Oceanic BC protein Skimmer (probably going to replace this with another hang off the back PS )
Lighting:
AquaticLife Swing Arm HID Metal Halide Light Fixture
150W and im using 10000K bulb though im thinking about switching to a 14k or a 20k ( id love to hear ppls opinions on the bulbs)
Powerheads:
koralia 1
koralia 3
maybe 35 Lbs of live rock
Fish:
2 Clown Fish
1 Green Cromis (had 3 though they seem to beed gone lol)
1 Striped Damsel
1 Watchmen Goby (Had a Tiger Pistol Shrimp though he seems to be gone/dead havn't seen him in months)
1 Pencil sea uchin (though probably bringing him back, i dont like how it eats my coraline algae since i dont have much of it)
some snails
some hermit crabs
Corals:
Hammer Coral
Devils Hand Leather
Some mushrooms
Some type of Zoo
SPS coral ( it was 5$ so i bought it to see how it would do with my light, possibly have killed it with adding in my rocks and upgrading my tank) oh came with a little crab that hides in it
Some other type of coral no clue the name looks like GSP but its got a calcium base
if anyone could ID eather the SPS or the GSPish one it would be helpful
and enough reading heres some pics ive collected of the few months
img3764d.jpg

img3694p.jpg

img3482.jpg

img3483j.jpg

dsc03612.jpg

img3744v.jpg

This is My SPS can anyone ID it?
img3743sz.jpg

This is my GPS looking one again with the ID?
Thanks for looking at my Tread! ill post updates when i can!

Welcome to AA! Tank looks good man, I've always been a big fan of bowfronts. I hope to own a 90 gal bowfront in the near future (when the wife will let me buy one anyway lol).

Welcome to AA. The bottom coral is a GSP But the color is way off. Can you give us some water parameters.

Thanks guys!

Parameters are

Ammonia: <0.1
Nitrates: <0.1
Salinity : 1.024
PH: 8.1
Temp: 79 F
Cal : 450
My cals a little high dono why. And i acually figured out that the coral is a galaxia coral. Not a GPS that might be why the colour looks off

Very nice looking tank. Very impressive. I`m moving this to the SW members showcase tanks forum. Welcome to AA.

thanks guys!

any sugestions on a 20k light vs 10k ?

If you are experiencing good growth with what you have then leave it like it is. I dont have MH`s as I have VHO`s but I have two super actinics and two 50/50 bulbs.

20000k bulbs are REALLY blue. Like.. extremely blue. The 14000k and 15000k bulbs are a combination of bright white, and have a tint of blue, which is excellent for reefs, IMO. The 14k and 15k also have good PAR readings, so they are good bulbs to use. I myself will be getting a 14000k bulb with my MH pendant.

Some excellent pictures you've got there. I really like the zoas you have. I used to have the exact same kind.

yeah i know i really want blueish lightand i dont know if 14K is that much of a difference then 10k

The zoo picture is the only picture with an SLR camera thats probably why its so nice

14000k is more white than the 10k bulb. 15000k is white with more blue in it. 20000k is completely blue. You will definitely see a difference when switching from 10k to 14k. Maybe not so much from 14k to 15k, but definitely from 10k,14k,15k, to 20k.

I read an article on lighting in which the author had experimented with different lights in a mixed reef aquarium.
When using 6500K bulbs/tubes he experienced excellent SPS growth, but inhibited LPS and Softie growth.
With 10,000K bulbs/tubes the growth of his LPS and Softies was fantastic, but his SPS grew slower.
Using 18,000K bulbs/tubes the LPS and Softie growth was still ok but the SPS growth came to a standstill.
This is the whole article if you want to read it: Lighting the Reef Tank: A Primer for Beginners by Doug Wojtczak - Reefkeeping.com
Nice tank BTW. You are correct also, the GSP are actually Galaxea. Watch out for it's proximity to other corals as at night it extends sweeper tentacles 4"-5" inches long. These are very powerful and will kill most things they come into contact with. :)

Back
Top Bottom