40g saltwater FOWLR project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flyingazel

Aquarium Advice Regular
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407118518.381850.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407118533.361964.jpg

Just added sand after letting the LR sit for awhile!!!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407118579.184595.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Aquatop canister filter...so far so good, I did buy it used though! Got the carpet a lil wet the first time using it

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407120420.130355.jpg

LR from the LFS...from Fiji, thoughts??

Get a bucket to put your canister filter in. It will catch any small leaks or spills. Canister filters can turn into nitrate factory in a SW system. Good luck!

I'm glad u mentioned that! I'd like to keep this filter for a bit but am planning to just test it for now

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407615798.981722.jpg

Added a few damsels. Things are looking up!

Ended up get ting a new canister filter. Went with the fluval 306

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407637865.549814.jpg

Got my blue background! Needing some more LR and I can't wait for a CUC

Suggestion on how often to test ammonia and nitrites?

In a brand new tank I usually check ammonia, trites and trates at least every other day. i may be the paranoid type though but better to test than not and lose fish. :)

You also DO NOT want to add any more live rock if you have critters in the tank already. there will be die off which will cause a spike in parameters. You would either want to add base rock or buy live rock and cure it in a separate tank until the parameters are good enough to add to your main tank.

That makes since in regards to the live rock! Great advice...I won't be adding anything for a bit, next step is eventually add some form of CUC.

1.026 is ok, i keep my sg at 1.025 to 1.026.

Ammonia is .5 ppm nitrites is .25 trates are not even 5 right now. PH is right around 8.0 and SG is 1.026! I also added a hermit crab and a snail two days ago.

Still waiting on my ammonia to spike unless it did a few days after I added my damsels...patiently waiting but enjoying what I have so far!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411345982.731885.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411345999.248530.jpg

Added my clowns today!

Tank now has the 2 clowns, one lil damsel, 4 hermit crabs and one snail

Back
Top Bottom