48x24x24 Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sniperhank

Giant Clam Addict
Ok, so I found a guy who will make a tank out of acrylic for a great price and I'll be taking him up on the offer. Even though it'll take a month to make, I wanted to start a build thread on everything that I'm planning.

There will be a custom stand and canopy, but will not be able to begin this part of the project until Spring starts.

In terms of equipment, most of what is on my 55 gallon will simply be moved over. This will start with the 2 Radions and dual reactor. It is currently undecided if the 20 long sump will be used, if it is I will need to re do it to form a middle chamber for a real refugium as it was taken down to fit the larger skimmer earlier in the year.

The rock for the tank will be a combination of the rock from the 36 and 55 tanks putting roughly 100 lbs of rock together. Then there is the sand. I want something different and will be ditching the sand from both previous builds to fill holes in my driveway. Currently thinking of 100 lbs of CaribSea Tahitian Moon Reef. Wonderful looking black sand to match a black painted background and make my corals pop. Since I have read about this sand being magnetic and I don't want the nice acrylic to be scratched, I will be investing in a scraper with a plastic scraper, probably the JBJ one from BRS for convenience sake.

Sounds like not a large investment, so why isn't this tank done yet right?! I need powerheads. The 55 has tons of them in it. Can't stand it. So, I'm thinking about 2 MP40w's. That should cover the turnover rate, right? I think it will. Any thoughts on that would rule. I will also be grabbing a long rail kit for my radions unless I can find some stuff to hang garage door openers locally.

In terms of refugiums, since mine is quite nickle and dimed, what are the thoughts people have on miracle mud? I'm thinking that I want an actual substrate in there and people seem kinda polarized on this stuff. I'd use the sand I already have, but don't want any white sand to end up in the display mixed into the black.

I think 2 mp40s would be great in the tank. It's not any longer than a 55.

With 2 of them maxed at 3200gph each yor looking at over 50x flow in the tank. I'd probably put one toward the front and high the other back and low just to maximize flow coverage.

I agree to not go with the black sand but that's just my opinion. The 2 mp40s should be perfect. As for the sump with the amount of space you'll have under that tank I would atleast get a 40 breeder to use if not bigger.

I don't like black sand either, simply because it's non-reflective.
I saw a study done on miracle mud a few years back and the conclusion was that there was nothing in it to suggest it came from the ocean. Mine had what appeared to be pieces of red brick and man-made shiny things in it. IMO, it's from someone's back yard.
Save the money.

Back
Top Bottom