527 gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefnoob84

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I started to think of all the things I'd like to have in our new house that were moving into in 18 months. One of them being a custom reef tank to hopefully fulfill my addiction to this hobby.

The tank will be on the main floor with a dedicated room in the basement directly under the tank.

It will measure 10 feet long 3 foot 6 inches wide and 25 inches tall. 527 gallons. I haven't thought about any of the specifics yet on the tank itself as far as drain locations and returns. I do know that atleast 3 sides will be viewable if not all 4.

So what would you guys use for equipment?

I currently have a 180 reef with a 55 sump. So these can be used for whatever. The 55 is baffled and drilled. 180 is an endless possibility.

So what equipment?
Skimmer?
Closed loop/return pump with a head height no more than 13'?
Led lighting? Or mh?
I was thinking a 500 gal trough for various corals and a back up to a power outage. Would 1 do? Or should I get 2?
Ozone?

Sounds like a great build! I don't really know the about the equipment though. I would recommend LEDs, but that's just my personal opinion. Do you have any ideas on the stocklist?

Greenturtle said:
Sounds like a great build! I don't really know the about the equipment though. I would recommend LEDs, but that's just my personal opinion. Do you have any ideas on the stocklist?

Schools of tangs, chromis, several clown species, couple pairs of gobys. Either pairs or schools. I read another thread about these 2 mated blue hippos. Every night they would do a dance like expo before the "sun set". I said I want that but I'm thinking more mated pairs of blonde nasos and hopefully an Achilles pair. I think that would be amazing. I saw a paired set of Achilles at the shedd aquarium. I thought 1 was beautiful but 2 swimming side by side was almost priceless.

Reefnoob84 said:
Schools of tangs, chromis, several clown species, couple pairs of gobys. Either pairs or schools. I read another thread about these 2 mated blue hippos. Every night they would do a dance like expo before the "sun set". I said I want that but I'm thinking more mated pairs of blonde nasos and hopefully an Achilles pair. I think that would be amazing. I saw a paired set of Achilles at the shedd aquarium. I thought 1 was beautiful but 2 swimming side by side was almost priceless.

Wow, and Achilles pair sounds really cool. I would recommend some Midas Blennies, a trio of some sort of dartfish, and some chalk bass.

Is the skimmer internal or external?
I have no idea what a 500 gallon water container would do for you in a power outage.
i would have the overflows placed in the middle of the tank and would not even consider metal halides.

mr_X said:
Is the skimmer internal or external?
I have no idea what a 500 gallon water container would do for you in a power outage.
i would have the overflows placed in the middle of the tank and would not even consider metal halides.

I don't think it matters on it being internal or external. I'm going to give myself a 18x12 foot room in the basement where I'll also have a 8 foot frag tank to help pay for all this. So I'm thinking a skimmer able to handle atleast 1000 gallon tank. All together the system could be 1000+ gallons.

The 500 gallon tank would serve as the final sump being able to hold enough water from a power outage/pump failure. Maybe only 300 gal running but I want to have room to prevent the need for a mini arc!

As far as middle you mean directly in the middle? Or middle of the back wall? What size bulkheads for the drain? 1.5 in or 2?

If anyone gets coral magazine then read the may/June issue. There's an article on a Swiss tank it's 925 gallons. This is why I must have bigger! Amazing article and the people only use 1500 watts! For a tank that size that's a feat!

Just read that article^ that tank is more like a small ocean! Really an amazing setup

1.5" bulkheads would work fine. 2 per overflow and I would locate the 2 overflows in the center of the tank and build rock work around them so you can't see them entirely. If you want to view this from 3, possibly 4 sides, you are not going to want overflows on the viewable panes.
As for a giant container to overflow into, you don't need that at all. All you would do is construct your plumbing so that it breaks siphon after a power outage.

Something like this perhaps?
Reef Octopus Super Reef 7000 External Skimmer

or maybe this-
Super Reef Octopus XP-8000 External Cone Protein Skimmer

There are some big things to consider, like humidity. It's a potentially huge problem.
I read a story a few years back about a guy who had a large system in his house,and he eventually had to demolish the house because it was condemned due to moisture issues.

Well good thing my father has a water damage restoration company. I've got 200+ commercial dehumidifiers at my disposal!

Im sure either one of those would work. For some reason I'm drawn to external skimmers.

There's also the upfront and maintenance cost of a system like that. Probably 10 grand to get started and maybe 300 a month to run.

That's about what I figured. I have a friend who always seems to have nib 5200 gph hammerheads for 250 and funny story didn't even know what kind of skimmer he had gotten on a trade. He traded a 30$ frag for a ev 240 w/a mag 12 pump. I asked him what was the guy thinking? He said he didn't have any cash and he really wanted the frag. Astounding.

Also a good friend from high school works at a plastics company. 1" thick acrylic 4x8 sheets for 450$

If I were you I would search the web for builds this large. I have a friend with a 440 g and another with a 2000 g. Both guys have been plagued with problems. Only because large tank are not used as frequently. So trial and error aren't there. Both of my friends have spent thousands of dollars replacing inadequate equipment. You will be surprised how much this will cost, regardless of how much money you have. It will become frustrating at some point unless you are prepared.
For instance, water movement. In my friends 440 he had 8 mp 40 s and still had to get to tunze wave makers. That is a chunk of change.
Good luck. I don't want to discourage you, rather let you know to be prepared and do tons of research.

Back
Top Bottom