Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Members Saltwater Tanks Showcase
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2009, 12:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

55 Gallon reef build

Well it is all slowly falling together. I am kinda disappointed that I don't have a bigger stand for a sump. I don't know where to begin on ordering a custom one to fit in this stand. Might have to build a stand beside the tank or something not to sure.

Equipment:

55 Gallon stand (oak)
55 Gallon tank (all glass)
Coralife Super Skimmer 65 (will be upgraded, such a waste now. hmm)
Hydor L40 pump (inline, closed circuit)
Koralia #4 and a Koralia #1 (Yes I was advised from here to not get a #4, however I have been informed from reefcentral.com by multiple people it would be ok at long as sand wasn't blowing around; which it's not)
Lifegard custom flow kit hooked up to the Hydor L40
Current Nova Extreme Pro 48" (324Watts; 3 actinics and 3 10,000K)
44 lbs of Fiji LR (will be adding more)
80LBs of Live Sand (LFS messed up on this order and I realized it after I had it home. She only rung up 1 bag out of the 4 I bought)
Digital Thermometer
200 Watt heater

First things, here is the stand I bought. Now that I look back on it; I ask myself why didn't I just get bigger :P

I had all the salt water mixed in a 45 gallon trash can in my closet (haha i know right) Pumped the water out of the trash can into the tank; hooked up the skimmer and koralia to get them running.

The next step was installing the background

At this point I didnt do anything for about a week; then I finally went and bought 80lb's of sand and a bag of salt. I had taken most of the water out of the tank, then put the sand in. I was told there was no need to rince it since I was just starting this tank; however I some times wish I did at this point. **** LFS.

After about 2-3 days the water cleared up

At the point of putting the sand in I had returned my Seaclone 100 and traded it out for a coralife superskimmer. After about another week I ordered the LR and Lights. They both came on the same day (w00t). The piece on the left was directed by my mom to be stood up. Its how she liked it, so I left it. Waiting to order more.

After that was done, I tested my lights. After regaining my vision, I installed them on my tank.

Like i said before hopefully I get a bigger stand or a custom sump for this thing. It will look much better.

Parameters:

PH : 8.2-8.3
Ammonia : .50-1.0
Nitrite : 4+?
Nitrates : 20-40

I did not think Nitrite and Nitrates would be so high so soon? is this usual?

I'm gonna allow it to stabilize more, and purchase a few snails/hermits. I don't wanna buy to many yet. Also the LR.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Parameters:

Ammonia : .25-.50
Nitrite : (Having a hard time distinguishing between 1.0 and 5.0; going to assume for right around 5)
Nitrates : Anywhere from 20-80

Could this be right? Kind of at a loss of words here at the moment because of how high my nitrates actually are right now.

Second off; having a custom stand built. Anyone have some suggested dimensions, also a size of a sump and separate refuge?

Old 04-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Looks like it is coming along. Readings look OK.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the reply. For the new stand I'm looking at 48"x18"x32".

Current stand is 48"13"x28"

This will allow the tank to be higher, better viewing. Also will about me to fit sump in there. I have a 15gallon tank here which is 24x12x12 which easily would fit. I would like to fit a 20+ gallon tank under there; however just concerned on getting it in there. Any suggestions for this?

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...d_Template.jpg

Using that stand template as a general guideline, only for the design not actual lengths. I calculated the total amount of weight being around 700lbs, 500 for the display and possibly up to 200 for the sump. I could only imagine that being at most due to the fact the sump would be possibly a little over half full.

Ammonia seems to still be at .5-1.0
Nitrites at around 1 (asked my father to look at the charts for his opinions also)
Nitrates definitely down to 20 if not slightly lower.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey justin your tank looks good man. I like the large piece of LR. That will be awesome for you to work with later on with all the offshoots it has on it. Nice work!
Old 04-20-2009, 09:57 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Looks Good Justin Welcome to the 55Gallon Club....
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks, as stated before I still need to purchase more LR. This next LR purchase will cure in the 45 gallon trash can I have.

I have also noticed a slight issue. I have my current heater (200watt) set to 75-76 degrees while curing. I tested how much heat the lights will add, and currently it is sitting at 80 degrees. My digital thermometer read about 75.2 earlier today when I turn the lights on; and currently it is at a around 80.3; isn't this quite an issue? Most I can do would be to open up the windows in my room on cool days or windy days in order to air out the room some more. Maybe this won't be so bad when i add an extra 20 or so gallons for a sump?

Really looking into melev's considering he makes sumps. But what I would like would cost slightly to much for me considering the shipping cost, and the rate ranging from 300+; couldn't argue they look amazing.

Looking into Glass-Holes.com; they seem to be fairly priced for what I will need. I will look into it more.

Just looking at a simple design from left to right or right to left whichever. a refuge area, along with a area for protein skimmer. The sump is being built for the reasons of getting a lot of stuff out of my display tank.

Will end up creating a 3d picture of the stand; and also a sump im looking into. Will be fun, havent messed with cinemad 4d in a while :P
Old 04-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would say turn your heaters down then to get a good temp day time and night time. You are right I think the sump does help with water temp. Mine stays at 80 all the time.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

A lot of it has to do with the fact it is in my room. It is hotter in our second floor compared to the first or of course basement. Second off, I end up leaving my door shut which will slow down a lot of circulation for heat and so forth out of the room. I will solve that simply. I originally had the heaters set at 80 degrees and the temps rose to around 82 degrees. I will turn the heaters off now, and also the lights of and wait for around 1-2 hours and check the temp.

Looking closely at some rocks I see a sort of hair growing in groups; however they are not green. Is it hair algae?

One consideration I am also looking at would be making a separate refuge compartment under my stand. For instance using a 15 gallon sump and 10 gallon refuge. I don't know yet, I will look into it. Not to much into drilling a hole for a glass tank lol.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Me either. Many have done it Im too scared! I would say turn the heaters down to a point where(if possible) at day they shut off because your lights are keeping the tank where you want it and at night the heaters automatically kick on because your lights are off thus keeping the tank where you want it temperature wise.

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com