60G Frag Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alyxandria

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I figured I would make a thread for my custom 60G frag tank build. I built the tank personally and it was my first one so I am pretty proud of that! The tank is all built and holds water extremely well. The dimensions are 48x24x12.

img_3254108_0_f0ff67103652c7d3bbeef31094dfc6e7.jpg

We built the stand before we went on a week long vacation and I'm hoping to get the last boards screwed on and filled up and cycled today or tomorrow. (At least before he gets back - I had to leave a few days early for work)

img_3254108_1_a72c0091cb27c7a4b6a5d2fc54b9c04d.jpg

We have a 20G sump as well to be put on with a reef octopus protein skimmer.

This is what I'll be doing with this build:
- Plumbing the tank and adding the sump
- Purchasing a return pump
- Hanging my 165W LEDs
- Upgrading Koralias to Jebao's
- Purchasing a new RODI system
- Purchasing reactors
- Purchasing dosing pumps
- Adding corals (Repeat this step x7382937!)
- Other misc things on the way :)

Okay so I have decided to go with two Jebao RW-4's for the powerheads in the tank for now. If I need to add another I can do so down the road.

I think I am also going to go with a Jebao DC return pump. I have a Jebao 6000 for my other tank as I wanted to go larger because it is adjustable in case we want to upgrade in the future. This one doesn't have to be as overkill. I am not sure which model number I would like to go with yet.

I have a bulkhead and strainer for a simple gravity return system. The drain is either 1.5" or 1" I can't quite remember off the top of my head. When I drill the tank I am assuming I will be putting it where the water line will be, correct?

Went to Walmart today. Heard a lady complaining there was no distilled water left.. Hah. It was in my cart. I have an RODI system but I need to change the cartridges and I was feeling a tad bit impatient today.

img_3254544_0_8648a2888a09c7c841e3093f6faaddf7.jpg

img_3254544_1_f9c0f21e194de39e33c29e675c1955ea.jpg

Have about 25 gallons of water ready to start cycling tomorrow. I remembered to get everything except the.... salt. I'm going to add it in and throw some powerheads in tomorrow and start cycling the tank.

I know I jumped ahead and the tank still needs to be drilled but if we can't find a way to drill it as it is we can always siphon the water into another tank (we have plenty of spares) until we do so.

img_3254544_2_d25e19ff4e08eb07adce84cfd10a60f4.jpg

img_3254544_3_930bddacd367d90b81fc73bc6a0a690c.jpg

I've also already built the frag racks so I think I will try those out in the tank tomorrow as well!

Does anyone think we need foam under the tank? Was hoping to leave it so we could see the wood but I've had a few people suggest that we put foam under. The tank is all acrylic. Its been sitting full for months as we leak tested it but got busy and didn't empty it right away. It's not going to have rock in it - just frag racks..

Going to skip the foam. The tank is flat and level and my boyfriend is great at woodworking. All of our stands have been exceptionally sturdy.

Filled the 25 gallons with salt and added some bottled bacteria to the tank. May also throw in a cocktail shrimp depending on how high the ammonia levels spike or dose it up with pure ammonia. Not sure.

img_3255598_0_e4310d19b3831198f921b7896888153b.jpg

I think my boyfriend will be taking a look at drilling the tank tomorrow for the sump. We are also adding a few more support boards to ensure the tank is 100% sturdy. We also need to put a plywood base on once we do that for the sump to sit on.

I am also ordering two Jebao RW-4 circulation pumps for the tank within the next 24 hours! I may also order a Jebao DC return pump or temporarily use the one we have but I'm not sure yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but why are you trying to cycle a tank that has no biological filter for bacteria to colonize on? With only water in there, you're wasting time/money

Jesse

Correct me if I'm wrong, but why are you trying to cycle a tank that has no biological filter for bacteria to colonize on? With only water in there, you're wasting time/money

Jesse

The sump has tho rocks and stuff in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's a good point. I haven't hooked the sump up yet. I did throw in a bit of rock rubble and a bit of filter media after I took that picture but not much. I am waiting on some rock for the sump to come in. When I get that all set up I'll throw in a cocktail shrimp for a few days. :)

I did things in a weird order on this tank, but Im working on getting it all worked back around and set up right lol.

Back
Top Bottom