65 gallon SW... *Update 3/11* more rock...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrcrazypants05

Aquarium Advice Freak
How's this sound... A little too much? I'm planning on having a 29 gallon sump if i can... lol the tanks a 65 gallon. Here's the list...

A pair of Clowns(probably perc.)
Six Line Wrasse
Kaudern's Cardinal
Royal Gramma

That's pretty much what I like... That I can fit in a 65 gallon... If I can save and plop some cash down on a 120 gallon I might get a yellow tang...

From a bio-load stand point the list is light. Compatability should be fine as well.

wow, it is such a treat to see someone with a light stocking list! You might want to consider adding a couple banggai so that you have a trio. I have found them to be happier in small groups.

Thats a pretty good list. Best I`ve seen in awhile. I agree about the yellow tang.

They all look so beautiful that I don't feel I need to stock a lot. How often will I have to do water changes with a setup like this if I added a couple of banggai? The banggai are probably one of my favorite fish right now. lol Like I said, I might be picking up a 120 gallon and selling my 65 gallon. The 120 is a RR tank and its only $450. Might be a drive, but it's worth it. Would I be able to put a Yellow tang in then since it would be a foot longer and ½ foot wider? If not any more stocking suggestions for the 120 gallon?

Okay thought I would let everyone know whats up. Im building the 30 gallon sump right now and I have all my plumbing... I'm going to have 104lbs of live rock in the display... mostly fiji... 24lbs of it will be tonga branch. I would have 15-20lbs of rock in the sump as well... I will keep my original stock list but the perculas will be *black* false perculas. and instead of 1 banggai cardinal it will be 3. How does this sound to everyone? Also how often should i wait inbetween stocking the fish and which should I get first? I thought I would add the 2 false percs first.. then every month and a half setup my QT and put another fish in at a low salinity... Hows this sound? I'm using Instant Ocean salt for my mix. I've got a Kent Deion 200-R DI unit.using a Queit one 4000 for my return pump and using 1 or maybe 2 MJ1200 for flow in the tank. I've got a skimmer that will be setup in the sump and I've got 2 250wheaters and havent decided if I'll use both or not in the sump. Hows it sound lol.... Dont let me off easy if ive forgotten anything!

I would add the 3 banggai first......the percs can still get pretty territorial. Other than that, things look great!

Anyone else?

Also... I just feel like showing pics of my progress...

Heres the all of it in this pic...
all.jpg

Attachments

• lights_152.jpg
    lights_152.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 10
  • sand_194.jpg
    sand_194.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 15
  • sump_413.jpg
    sump_413.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 14
Looks good, but I would change one thing in regard to your plumbing. I would use a true union ball valve right after your return pump. the reason is two-fold: you can control your return pressure/volume, and you can get in to service the pump and not disturb the rest of your plumbing to do so.

Im almost there... so far its been about 5-6 days cycling and im reading over 1ppm ammonia... havent tested nitrites in a few days. Heres all the rock im getting. Its part base rock, and part marshall island. About 70lbs... ill add about 15 more lbs to the sump and I think I should have enough. Here's some pics....

rockinbox.jpg

allrock.jpg

rockside.jpg

Back
Top Bottom