6g "full moon" nano reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
Went to the lfs today and got a acrylic marineland 6g full moon with built in LEDs that will support mushrooms and zoas, about any low light. It came with a built marine land penguin 100 HOB. I was thinking a clown goby who is already in QT for my other tank and somthing else, any ideas of another nano fish?

I am gonna use live rock from my 37g to seed this tank so i wont need to cycle. Any ideas of other corals and fish would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks and stay tuned for pics of the tank!

Last edited:
I doubt that light will support corals. Also, really only the clown goby is suitable for that size tank. I'd just stick with one goby and that be it for fish. Get a nicer light and do a coral dominated tank.

I doubt that light will support corals. Also, really only the clown goby is suitable for that size tank. I'd just stick with one goby and that be it for fish. Get a nicer light and do a coral dominated tank.

What light should i use? How about 2 clown gobys? I will be doing 2g wc once a week

If you keep up that wc schedule two clown gobies would probably be fine. I'd look into a par38 bulb which will allow you to grow lps and softies. They usually aren't to expensive.

If you keep up that wc schedule two clown gobies would probably be fine. I'd look into a par38 bulb which will allow you to grow lps and softies. They usually aren't to expensive.

I think i will frag some of my ricordea mushrooms from my 37g since i have a crap load of them and will see if it does ok. Is there any other goby that wouldt fight with the clown?

I think i will frag some of my ricordea mushrooms from my 37g since i have a crap load of them and will see if it does ok. Is there any other goby that wouldt fight with the clown?

Yeah that's a good idea to try the mushrooms out. Idk I don't have experience mixing gobies maybe someone else will come along.

I wouldn't mix gobies, especially in that size tank. You can go with 2 clowns given you keep up with WCs. Maybe you can go with one green and one yellow clown.

I wouldn't mix gobies, especially in that size tank. You can go with 2 clowns given you keep up with WCs. Maybe you can go with one green and one yellow clown.

My lfs only carries yellows, is there a way to sex them? And is there any open swimming fish for this size? Or is it just perchers and bottom dwellers?

For invertabrates i am thinking- 5 scarlet reef hermits, (plenty of shells will be provided) 1 red sea star, 5 bumble bee snails, and 2 red bandit snails.

Its a pain that both the filter and the light are on the same cord in this tank lol, i cant test out the light without dry running the heater. Tank will be up and ready tommarow afternoon. Its gonna be in my bedroom so i hope it wont be to loud lol

Last edited:
I have a yellow and green clown goby and they do just fine together. :) They also have black clown gobies and brown ones too.
How about a hi fin goby? They are small and stay small. Or maybe a candycane goby, very tiny but very cute. Take a look at Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums and check under the nano fish category for some more ideas.

My lfs has hi fins, what about a shrimp/goby pair. I also forgot to mention i wanted a cleaner shrimp, would that be a problem with the pistol shrimp? I know cleaners get big so i would move it to another tank when the time comes

I think you'd be fine with the cleaner and pistol. They shouldn't bother one another.

Well fiddled with the tank for 2 hours trying to figure out which cords go together out of the 6 there are, the filter is apparently broken and so are the lights except for the moon light which does nothing. Found that one of the wires had seprated from the other and is broken, and am gonna be giving the tank back to the lfs if they will even take it after unwrapping the bio-wheel and the filter cartridge.

Btw guys i got this tank out of the box and it was on sale for that reason (70$) hope the lfs will give me an inbox one or one that is out of box that actually works but the only reason they said they were getting rid of it was because it was out of box and they didnt want it anymore.

Well guys no worries, if the lfs is willing to fix it for free than i will let them but if not i will just get a refund and buy it off petcos website. (60$ on sale) Would a hi fin goby pair with a pistol shrimp? And what type of pistol shrimp?

Anyone have any idea how i could put a timer on the light? Marineland came up with the obserd idea of combinding the filtration cord with the lighting cord so that they only take up one outlit.

Back
Top Bottom