75 gallon saltwater build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msumpter87

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have spent the last month gathering supplies and doing as much research as i can and I think I am finaly ready to set up my tank. I am starting with a 75 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump system. My return pump does 1200 gph. I also got a coralife 125 super skimmer (not the best but i couldn't pass it up for free), 60 lbs. of sand, hydor 1400 gph water circulator, instant ocean sea salt, test kit for salinity, ph, nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia, and also a heater. This tank will be a fish and live rock tank only. My question is am i missing anything?? This is my first tank and I want to do it right. I will also be adding live rock Saturday when I hopefully set it up. I will be using the die off from the rock to help my cycle and i will also put shrimp in to help the cycle as well. Any tips or input is appreciated.

I have the same exact system , honestly just throw in a bottle of dr Tim's in your tank and your tank is ready to be stocked , nobody wants to wait 4/5 weeks for there fish

Even if that dr Tim's works id still cycle the old fashion way with live rock and a shrimp. Rather be safe than sorry. Also, why buy something when you can do it for cheaper and be patient about it. After all patience is a huge part of sw. I'm also not a huge fan of bacteria in a bottle things and most don't actually work.

I went with the live rock and shrimp, currently i am fully cycled with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 10ppm nitrate. I am adding fish to it this weekend.

Your looking great! The hardest phase is coming up, slow and steady will win you this race. Good luck and let us know how it plays out.

I should have said I am adding more fish. My cycle was complete on December 2 and on December 5 I added an oc clown and i got a free scooter blenny from a friend. I was worried I the blenny would be a picky eater but he loves brine shrimp so I got lucky. Its hard because I'm impatient but I wait 2 weeks in between adding new fish so I can monitor my water quality and make sure it stays stable. I'm hoping this weekend to add a coral beauty and maybe something else, I haven't decided yet.

I should have said I am adding more fish. My cycle was complete on December 2 and on December 5 I added an oc clown and i got a free scooter blenny from a friend. I was worried I the blenny would be a picky eater but he loves brine shrimp so I got lucky. Its hard because I'm impatient but I wait 2 weeks in between adding new fish so I can monitor my water quality and make sure it stays stable. I'm hoping this weekend to add a coral beauty and maybe something else, I haven't decided yet.

Cool deal about your cycle and all. My blenny eats everything under the sun, but he mainly loves algae. Any kind anywhere. I personally would wait for an angel. They like to eat sponges and pick on algae around the tank, and that will prob take some time to grow and establish in a new aquarium.

Anytime, I learned the hard way. Hope he works out in the future for ya

Do you think a kole or yellow tang would work in a 75 gallon?? This is another addition for the future and I havnt decided which I want. I have read many different opinions on minimum tank size for these fish. Also do you think one of those would work with my current stock plus the angel??

Should be good, they are tangs so you gotta make sure they have stuff to pick at all day. I use a clip and hand romaine, nori strips, algae from my Fuge. They love it and will stay chill.

Got bad news, not adding anything to the tank this weekend. Woke up to a dead scooter blenny this morning. Checked my parameters and all are zero with 10 on my nitrates. Salinity is fine and he was eating good. I did quick exam of the body and did not find any signs of external disease or parasites and all other members of the tank are doing great. I may just chalk it up to ish happens but I'm putting future plans on hold to make sure. The blenny was almost 2 months old. If anybody has any ideas of what might have happened please feel free to post them.

Was he eating any differently? Sorry about your loss.

Nope, his eating habits was the same. He would pick around the rocks and substrate all day and tear up brine shrimp when I threw that in.

Back
Top Bottom