75 gallon saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well a general rule is 1 to 1 1/2 pounds per gallon if you use a porous rock such as fiji, tonga, marshall island and the like 2 pounds if you use a dense rock like atlantic rock. The porous rocks look alot nicer the the dense stuff. I'd start with maybe 80 lbs and see if you like the look you can always get more after that.

If you're on a budget, you can do more dry rock and have some live rock to seed the rest. Maybe 75% base rock. I did 100% dry pukani rock from BRS b/c of the cost, look, and no pests. Personally, I don't like the look of fiji rock b/c it's too dense. Like the previous poster said, 1-2 lbs is good and it depends on what look you want. With dry rock you don't pay for water, with LR that is part of the weight. Welcome to AA btw!

Thank you very much. I have like 5 pounds of live rock in there so i will put a lot more in there. Should i wait to put fish in there for a while. This might be a dumb question to but does live rock need any type of food. Ty

You should wait for the tank to cycle 4 to 6 weeks before putting in any fish. You can cycle it with a piece of shrimp which will start to decay which in turn will raise the ammonia which will cause the good bacteria to grow. If you have a friend who has a tank you could get a sponge or some floss from him to help seed the tank.

Ty tonedogz. Does it matter what kind of shrimp? Should i also buy a filter for my tap water when i put new in. I tested my water and my ph was a little low but everything else was pretty good

Ty tonedogz. Does it matter what kind of shrimp? Should i also buy a filter for my tap water when i put new in. I tested my water and my ph was a little low but everything else was pretty good
Just a regular piece from the supermarket will do. If you can afford one I would invest in an ro/di unit you can get a decent one for around $150. The ph will go up once you add all the rock and whatever your base is going to be such as sand.

ro/di unit is just a recommended filter for tap water used in saltwater aquariums. this is the one i bought BRS 4 Stage Value PLUS RO/DI System - 75GPD - Bulk Reef Supply u can buy ones a lil cheaper w/o the little extra stuff. But if you dont use some kind of RO/DI unit, your more than likely run into problems down the road. and crushed coral is fine for your base if thats what u want.

I'd use sand rather then crushed coral unless you bought it already. Lots of stuff gets trapped in the crushed coral that could create nitrate problems

Ty u guys are very helpful. It's going to take me a while. Its sounds like its going to be a little Expensive. I want to do it the right way and u guys r helping me with that.

Unfortunately this hobby can be expensive. But if you do things right it will be cheaper in the long run.

Ok i have a 75 gallon tank with two 100 watt heaters. Is that good enough. Its staying at about 78 right now.

I have so many questions. I hope im not bothering u guys. I don't want my fish to die like some of the people i talk to.

Back
Top Bottom