75g reef tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a suggestion, and this is personal preference, I would get an iodide supplement to add to the tank. Spend the money and get the stuff that rises stabilizes it and won't go over the limit. You can keep an eye on it by testing carbonate alkalinity and making sure it stays in limits. Or you can buy an iodide test kit. They are expensive. I just monitor the carbonate alkalinity and it works for me. It dropped a little at first and then stabilized. Shrimp sometimes have a hard time molting in aquariums. They'll die and get picked up by the CUC and you wouldn't even know for a couple of days. Iodide softens their shells enough for them to molt when needed.

I find shrimp excellent additions to a reef. I keep 5 peppermint, 2 cleaner, three pistols, and a fire shrimp in my reef. Planning on adding another fire and few more peppermints. Just make sure the wrasse you choose isn't an invertebrate chow hound lol. Tanks looks good, keep the pics coming.

Thanks, I was just thinking about the wrasse. I have a list of four wrasse to choose one from so I'll have to look into them more. I agree though inverts make a reef come to life even more.

Just a suggestion, and this is personal preference, I would get an iodide supplement to add to the tank. Spend the money and get the stuff that rises stabilizes it and won't go over the limit. You can keep an eye on it by testing carbonate alkalinity and making sure it stays in limits. Or you can buy an iodide test kit. They are expensive. I just monitor the carbonate alkalinity and it works for me. It dropped a little at first and then stabilized. Shrimp sometimes have a hard time molting in aquariums. They'll die and get picked up by the CUC and you wouldn't even know for a couple of days. Iodide softens their shells enough for them to molt when needed.

Yeah I was reading about the iodine so will look into it more when the time comes. I keep land inverts so I know how stressful/dangerous a moult can be for inverts.

I have 3 sexy shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, 4 brown shrimp. They all live happy together.. Peppermint a do hide but also keep aiptasia down. The brown shrimp sift thru the sand a lot. The sexy shrimp don't really mess with any of my soft corals. Two stay under my mushroom and 1 stays between my yellow polyps..
Also coral banded shrimp are not good shrimp. If you forget to feed them they will attack shrimp and any fish that they can get to.

I have 3 sexy shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, 4 brown shrimp. They all live happy together.. Peppermint a do hide but also keep aiptasia down. The brown shrimp sift thru the sand a lot. The sexy shrimp don't really mess with any of my soft corals. Two stay under my mushroom and 1 stays between my yellow polyps..
Also coral banded shrimp are not good shrimp. If you forget to feed them they will attack shrimp and any fish that they can get to.

Thanks for the advice.

Got my first two fish today! A neon goby, who I haven't seen much of since putting him in the tank, and a firefish. He is very active, I expected him to be much more shy. I also got some more snails.

My ammonia read about .15 or somewhere around there. Should I be concerned?

1zx17ax.jpg

Thanks for the advice.

Got my first two fish today! A neon goby, who I haven't seen much of since putting him in the tank, and a firefish. He is very active, I expected him to be much more shy. I also got some more snails.

My ammonia read about .15 or somewhere around there. Should I be concerned?

All of my fish are pretty active... Except my oc. Clown... If you want a good cave builder try a sleeper goby aka golden headed goby... And has your ammonia went down if not you can try some clear fx... It does pretty good

All of my fish are pretty active... Except my oc. Clown... If you want a good cave builder try a sleeper goby aka golden headed goby... And has your ammonia went down if not you can try some clear fx... It does pretty good

Yeah I've added some active ones to the list, like a wrasse and chromis . Ammonia was gone after a few hours.

Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 8ppm
PH 8.0
SG 1.025

Neon goby didn't make it. Found him being munched on by a hermit. During acclimation he jumped out of the cup and I'm not sure how long he was sitting there. He didn't seem well after that.

Potential stocking:

firefish
bangaii cardinal
tailspot blenny
2x chalk basslet
Carpenter's Flasher wrasse
yellow clown goby
blue/green chromis

any suggestions or changes you would make? Let me know if you know of some other cool, small, peaceful fish. I'd prefer not to get clowns, as my girlfriend is setting up a small tank with a pair.

Sorry 2 hear about that... I'm not sure on the stocking but I read somewhere that it's an inch per 5 gallons...

my camera is terrible.

new poster for christmas.

probably won't draw much attention when tank is fully stocked.

9uq9ut.jpg

Merry Christmas!

2-3 inches per 10 gallon. Make sure you stock based on how big the fish is going to get and not on how big he is. Also, all Goby's jump big you ever get another, acclimate him inside the bag he comes in and make sure your tank has a top.

I don't think the bioload would be too bad and i've heard the inches per gallon rule doesn't work. Most of these fish are peaceful.

Being peaceful has nothing to do with it. They need room to live. You don't share your house with 10 people.

I never claimed that they did not need space. Being peaceful has A LOT to do with it. Are you saying a 3" damsel has the same territorial requirements as a 3" firefish? With firefish, chromis, and goby sized fish, some open water swimmers, some rock and bottom dwellers, I don't think eight would be too many, but perhaps someone else can chime in.

Nice poster... I have a rainsford goby and a golden headed goby... Neither go near the top of my tank... The cover is just a precaution... Any fish can jump out of a tank... Also peaceful has a lot to do with it... You don't want to put something like a lion fish with something like a snowflake clown or a wrasse... As long as your fish are reef safe and you stick somewhat to the inch per gallon rule you should be okay... I was told with my 2 hob filters and no sump, refugium, or skimmer that my tank wouldn't make it... It's running stronger then ppl with bigger tank and all the "required" stuff... Not all fish and tanks are the same... Some can handle it and some can't... It depends on how u stock it and what you stock it with...

Got a pair of pink skunk clowns. Something different, but still get to watch the funny behavior of clowns. Will try to take pictures tomorrow.

Got a pair of pink skunk clowns. Something different, but still get to watch the funny behavior of clowns. Will try to take pictures tomorrow.

I was thinking about going with the skunk clowns but I fell in love with the black snowflake clown

How do you like your tomatoes?

those are actually pink skunk clowns. I wanted tomatoes, but was very concerned about their reputation of being super aggressive. I happened to come across the pink skunks which are apparently the most peaceful, and have a similar, but lighter look.

Yeah I've been going between tomatoes and Picasso snowflake clown, but I like those pinks. I'm gonna have to look into them.... How do ty pair with anemone?

Back
Top Bottom