800 gallon L - Shape Custom Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

audifusion

Aquarium Advice Freak
I started this build in the summer.(2011)

Tank details:

8 ft x 42" front span (starphire)
7ft x 36" side span (starphire)
Eurobraced
Dual overflows with 4 1 1/2" outlets

I had bought a new property for my physical therapy/ sport injury clinic to move into and thought an aquarium would be the perfect addition to the reception area.

I found this tank on kijiji. The owner needed it gone because he could no longer maintain it due to health issues.

Mind you the tank was in his basement and needed to be disassembled piece by piece, it took two of us 6 hours with putty knives, utility knives and about 15 guitar strings( the best tool ever if you need to breakdown a tank).

I never knew glass could be so heavy.

the next step involved figuring out where to place the tank and if the floors would support the weight( 9500lbs plus).

I had to get a structural engineer to come check out the framing and give me the ok.

The joists were on 12" centers with bracing, so I didn't need to add additional support.

I built the stand out of 2x6 bluwood. Then faced it with 3/4" ply as a backer for cultured stone.

I have a bunch more pics to post up,

All I have left to do is partition the 150 gallon sump

Install lighting

I started this build in the summer.(2011)

Tank details:

8 ft x 42" front span (starphire)
7ft x 36" side span (starphire)
Eurobraced
Dual overflows with 4 1 1/2" outlets

I had bought a new property for my physical therapy/ sport injury clinic to move into and thought an aquarium would be the perfect addition to the reception area.

I found this tank on kijiji. The owner needed it gone because he could no longer maintain it due to health issues.

Mind you the tank was in his basement and needed to be disassembled piece by piece, it took two of us 6 hours with putty knives, utility knives and about 15 guitar strings( the best tool ever if you need to breakdown a tank).

I never knew glass could be so heavy.

the next step involved figuring out where to place the tank and if the floors would support the weight( 9500lbs plus).

I had to get a structural engineer to come check out the framing and give me the ok.

The joists were on 12" centers with bracing, so I didn't need to add additional support.

I built the stand out of 2x6 bluwood. Then faced it with 3/4" ply as a backer for cultured stone.

I have a bunch more pics to post up,

All I have left to do is partition the 150 gallon sump

Install lighting

So there is a basement under this tank??
I supported my joist ,and that was only for my 280,,but if you got it checked out,then i guess your good to go(y)...

thats wicked, i have been checking kijiji every day and have never come across anythign like this, and we are pretty close as i only live in vaughan

Putting on the front and back sections of glass.

Used Dow Corning 995 silicone sealant black.Apparently that's what sea world and marineland used for their big tanks.

Super strong stuff but über messy.

Used 12 tubes in total.

Attachments

• image-1974353078.jpg
    image-1974353078.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,777
  • image-3114514715.jpg
    image-3114514715.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,934
  • image-1959073601.jpg
    image-1959073601.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 2,041
  • image-4179103249.jpg
    image-4179103249.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 2,309
Plain and simple awesome. Have you thought about the top more yet? It would be really cool if you are able to pull off the hinged glass tops, especially with how you pulled it off if you end up doing so.

wouldnt using glass on a 800 gallon reef tank require alot of cleaning? The amount of salt that would get on the lids from evaporation would be a lot of work cleaning the salt stains to allow enough light to get through to the corals. If you want a top I would think you would have to use egg crate or you could do a DIY mesh lid, I did one for my 40gallon and it works very nice.

Now that I think of it, I would probably need to clean the glass cover frequently just to allow more light through.

the tank room, ie behind the tank is fully enclosed ( insulated and vapor barrier both walls and floor, the walls are painted with high gloss moisture resistant paint) and the room has its own door.

I bought a dehumidifier just to be in that room to control humidity.

I originally was going to install an exhaust fan with humidistat but the guy at home depot said they really don't work that well.

I have more questions about lights so I will post them in my lighting thread.

One of the pics is taken from my front walkway, Even people walking on the sidewalk should get a good view.

Here's a list of the equipment I have so far,

Reeflo hammerhead hybrid 6000gph
3x300 watt heaters
150 gallon sump tank ( not partitioned yet)
Boatload of bio balls
picking up the lights this weekend,
Jbj auto top off

Still haven't decided on a protein skimmer but am open to suggestions on brands.

Attachments

• image-4110422673.jpg
    image-4110422673.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,821
  • image-3610571910.jpg
    image-3610571910.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,767
  • image-3402769345.jpg
    image-3402769345.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,779
  • image-1833207460.jpg
    image-1833207460.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,852
If you have the money the guy building the skimmers for aqua engineering is incredible.

I gotta stop reading these threads about those gorgeous monster tanks. My 200 gallon looks so small now!

Back
Top Bottom