Angelmom2/treemanone2003 SW Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

treemanone2003

Aquarium Advice Addict
And the title says it all !!

Over the winter, we took a dive to the other side. After trading some firewood to a good friend for a 10g nano, it was love. We got it setup in February and let it cycle for 2 months before doing anything. After it was sound, we added a a Ricordea. Then a frogspawn. Then a couple other frags. Pretty basic. Getting used to things, the hang of how things work as opposed to FW, etc. Next thing ya know there's a Pistol Shrimp and a Blue Spotted Goby. And an Acan, some other thing that didn't make it, and a 3 headed Duncan. And now this big bush looking thing.

So the bug has bitten and here's what the outcome has produced. For the past who knows how long, I've managed to be in the right spot quite a few times and have collected A LOT of stuff. I'll post pics from the phone of what we'll be using since they're not on my desktop.

The plan is to use a 40b as the tank with standard steel stand. Next is an Amiracle HOB as the refugium. That will be backed up with a CPR skimmer. Except for the tank, I'm not sure what these items would run if I had to purchase them, but I know they're not cheap !! All of these items I have gotten over the years for FREE !! Our only purchase thus far is the light, Classifieds - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community and one pump.

So with any luck since this was a good week and the bills are paid, we'll be filling with fresh sand, adding the existing LR and getting some more, and swapping over what's in the 10g to the 40g. Pics soon.

Hi! I'm following along can't wait to see pics! Good luck guy's :)
Lesley

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Get after it bud!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry I forgot to upload the phone pics. Dinner got in the way of our hungry selves, lol.

Here are the tank, skimmer, and fuge plans. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411684025.214546.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411684034.210803.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411684044.516559.jpg

The box under the tank was a requirement by the landlord "in case the tank breaks". Now we all know if it does, chances are it's not gonna drop out from the bottom. But whatever, lol. He's happy, we're happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Treeman! Didn't even know you were back! Definitely looking forward to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

bribo !!!! Yes buddy, I'm around. Work has slowed to about 12 hour days for a few weeks. I'll be in and out.

Some of what's in the 10g going to the 40g. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411696805.713629.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411696820.675688.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411696834.482862.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411696846.260078.jpg

This last one is not going. I think it's aiptasia and it's stuck behind the filter inlet. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411696916.431570.jpg

I think the acan is pretty dead and I believe those glass balls are some kind of algae. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411697134.561364.jpg

Yes the acan is gone. That's bubble algae! Don't pop it!

Yes the acan is gone. That's bubble algae! Don't pop it!

Oh lord !!! Thank you. I'll be quite careful in cutting of that frag. I believe that one got glued down pretty fiercely because it was a square peg in a round hole thing.

Maaaaaac !!!!!!! Hey buddy !!! Back again till things pick up. I'll see over the other place too !!!

Some nice corals you have thats going to the new tank. Its ridiculous how quickly you can grow out of a nano tank isnt it?

Some nice corals you have thats going to the new tank. Its ridiculous how quickly you can grow out of a nano tank isnt it?

Thanks Mebbid. It's absolutely insane how quickly it can happen. The "plan" is just one more fish. Possibly a wrasse compatible with the tank size and pistol/goby bioload we have. And then just corals and keeping the water pristine. Research and repetition on the plans to get the next one up and running. Probably sure to get some flack (for order) but it's another 18 months down the road and if I haven't got all the questions and answers figured out by then, I have no one to blame but myself.

So I'm sitting here watching the 10g nano and trying to picture how we could set the two existing rocks in the 40g build. Out of the corner of my eye, I see the line peppermint shrimp dash across the back wall. Didn't think anything of it until I looked closer to see what it was chasing. I believe I have Copepods !!!! I can't say whether it's large or small based on lack of knowledge about them, but it seems as though it appears to be at best I can guess, somewhere around 100-130 ish.

So here's a question. Or a couple. I'm aware they are beneficial for multiple reasons. Can I transfer them over ? How do I transfer them ? Is it easy or difficult ? Is there a "trap" or trick of sorts ? What, if any, is the success rate ?

Here's the kicker. This tank was set up (from lack of knowledge) with no RO/DI. Only (salt mixed) tap water. So the ultimate questions are, is there a risk trying to save/keep these using this water and mixing with 35g of RO/DI, and what "bad" things do I risk bringing in to the new setup, if any ? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412297709.061768.jpg

Thanks all.

To get a bunch of them to transfer over to the othrr tank, I would suggest making a net bag full of refugium rubble. They will colonize and hide in the rubble and then you can just scoop the net bundle out of the tank in a bowl and transfer it over.

As to the risks of transferring over, there are very few. 9 times out of 10 the only negative thing tap water usage is associated with in salt water tanks is the growth of algae. This is only because tap water will commonly bring nutrients along with it.

To get a bunch of them to transfer over to the othrr tank, I would suggest making a net bag full of refugium rubble. They will colonize and hide in the rubble and then you can just scoop the net bundle out of the tank in a bowl and transfer it over.

As to the risks of transferring over, there are very few. 9 times out of 10 the only negative thing tap water usage is associated with in salt water tanks is the growth of algae. This is only because tap water will commonly bring nutrients along with it.

Thanks for that Mebbid. I will come up with something, somehow. I notice them most often at night. Probably since it's the only time I'm home. But at a quick glance this morning I do see a few.

So staring at the 10g the other night, it looks as though the frogspawn has some babies growing off the side. Could I be mistaking these for something else ? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412517871.743825.jpg

Back
Top Bottom