Black long spine Urchin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afilter

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yesterday I added two black long spine urchins. During transport they lost a few spines. Can I assume these will regenerate? I know I read that if they start losing spines it can be a sign of poor water quality. All seems fine since adding them to my tank.

Just wondering about the lost spines and if there is anything else to watch out for since these are the first urchins I have ever had.

TIA,

It may have been a physical injury. What was your acclimation process? They need to be acclimated slowly(as I'm sure you know, but I need to cover the bases). They are very sensitive to water quality and changes to their environment.
If you acclimated slowly, I would not worry, it is most likely the stress of the move and they will come around. Try and feed them a little strip of nori (my longspine loves it). In fact he is very spoiled, when hungry he will come to the right corner of the tank and wait for his nori strip.
If your water quality is good, you just picked up a very cool animal that is long lived and fun to watch. :D

quarryshark,

I did a drip acclimation over about 4 hours. All seems fine now as they cruz all over the tank. I just noticed a few spines in the transport bag and the bottom of the acclimation bucket. Can I assume the lost spines will regenerate?

Also, how big is your urchin. The two I have are about the size of a quarter(Not including spines). I also noticed one has solid black spines and the other has white banded pattern on its spins, both have the orange eye. Can I assume they are both black spines or is the one with the banded spins something different?

TIA,

I think there is a pic in my gallery of mine (if not, I will post one). His body is a bit bigger that a golf ball and his spines are about 3" long. I have had him for 15 months and has done quite well.
Not sure about the ID of the other. I will look around and let you know if I find anything.

found a pic, here's Spikey eating a strip of nori. :)

Attachments

• spike_410.jpg
    spike_410.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 128
Cool pic, both of mine look similar except for the banding on the spines of the one. Both were sold as Black long spines. I did not notice the difference until I added them to the tank.

Nori is pressed seaweed. You can get it at asian food store, LFS's and even most big grocery stores. It is used for wrapping sushi.
I just take a little strip a could times a week and give it to him. He is more than happy to grab it with his spines. I'm gonna feed him tonight, I'll see if I can grab a pic.

None of the pictures show it well, but the description on the first link(banded hatpin urchin) sounds right:

"General Info:
The Banded Hatpin Urchin is an algae eater. Its longer spines are black and white banded as opposed to its jet black relatives. The spines are delicate and may inflict a painful sting if it breaks the skin. "

The one with the banded spines are definitely longer than the regular black one.

Thanks,

The spines will regenerate. They're a defense mechanisim. They are often barbed. This way when something bothers them, the spine pierces the attacker releasing venom. It then breaks off to stay with the attacker and irritate them longer while the urchin escapes.... as quickly as an urchin can. :D

here's a picture of mine. He quickly out-grew my 55 and had to be returned to the LFS. His spines were easily 9-10" and a body 2-3" in diameter.

yea me too... :( he was one of the first critters I put in my tank. Got 'em when he was quite small... probably 4-5" spikes and 1-2" body... hey grew very quickly!

Back
Top Bottom