Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Members Saltwater Tanks Showcase
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2005, 04:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Candy Cane Coral (Updated with Pics)

I got a Candy Cane frag from a fellow reefer last weekend and last night during feeding time it started to open up. It was cool to see it opening during the daylight cycle of the tank. I took a little mysis and fed it gently with a syringe. It was really cool to watch it eat the mysis. The other tank inhabitants really wanted to steal the shrimp but seemed to have an awe inspiring respect for this coral. None of them got close enough to even steal a morsel of it. Pretty cool to watch. The guy I got him from said that if I wanted to feed him I'd have to wait until lights out when he opened to do it. I was glad to see him so willing to eat even with the lights on (please tell me that's not a bad sign, lol).

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 05:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

mine open more at night, but will always throw their sweepers out at feeding time. take a look at it at about 3 in morning sometime. mine flatten out put out a ring of short sweepers. the long one seem to come out during the day

steve r

Old 02-02-2005, 05:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

can we see a pic?
Old 02-02-2005, 05:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll snap some pics tomorrow night during feeding time if he opens up for a snack. I was up at 5:00 this morning gawking at him opened all the way up. Very cool looking.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
Old 02-02-2005, 06:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

These are mainly night feeders. Watch after lights out for their sweeper tenticals.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
These are mainly night feeders
That's why I was so surprised to see him eating with the lights on full tilt! I've seen it open at night, just shocked that it was so ready and willing to eat with everyone else.

Old 02-17-2005, 03:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Candy Cane Coral (Updated with Pics)

Here are the long overdue pictures of our candycane:

Old 02-17-2005, 05:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do these corals have to be hand fed. I bought one a week ago and it has never looked like the pic that i have seen, any info would be appreciated.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

no target feeding needed. if you feed a good variety of meaty foods to your tank they will be just fine.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

They are mostly nocturnal so about an hour after lights out you should see it extend like that, probably peaking around 3am! Otherwise mine is usually all curled up and you can't see any of the tenticles. When I feed my tank it will ocassionally start to extend a little bit and when it does I'll drop a little bit of mysis near it and it will drag it in to eat it. The guy I got mine from said that he fed his a couple of times a week and it was doing well so I try to feed it when it comes out during feeding time. Good luck with yours!

Tags
coral, pics, updated

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com