Changed scape....need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DI68

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all.....I went to my local LFS and really like how high and dense the LR was. I changed my tank today after buying more established LR but on another site, someone is saying it's no good..will trap detritus. Is my tank that bad? So disappointed now. I really wanted a full reef look with a lot of rock. ATTACH]274054[/ATTACH]ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434878697.956056.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434878672.051914.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434878672.051914.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 119
We enjoy our tanks for their visual appearance. If you find your scape visually attractive then you've achieved your goal to enjoy the tank haha.

When I see this scape I see a lot of rock I could use for caves and a more open scape to allow for more territory, and more fluid water flow. I see lots of areas for potential dead zones without good flow. The detritus is a huge concern for me as well. I also overall do not see space for corals, especially once the branching once start to shade below. I think you could do a lot more with all that rock. But it'd be a pain in the ***. You'd need to remove every coral and add it to a holding area with water flow. The same for all the rock in a trash can with a circulation pump. Then get started... It's even easier with no water if that helps haha.

Is there clear space around the back of the rock structure or is it against the back wall?
Leaving space at the substrate level enough for the fish to easily swim around the entire parameter of the tank is a almost essential, pick rocks to go on the sand bed that can act as supports for the other rock.
Maybe open up a couple of spaces so there is free swimming area from front to back.

remember, when they say 1.5-2 lbs of rock per gallon, it doesn't all need to go in the display.
I opted for less rock work in the display and use tons of rubble in the sump and refugium.
I still have 1 ~ 2lbs/per gal + total, but in the display I used only cherry-picked pieces that allow a nice open scape.

img_3237875_0_e08d2ce4322100dadf4d9eba1bb90839.jpg

I even made certain that that "caves" are off the sand about an inch in back so water can flow through and nothing gets trapped.
since rescaping with maximum water circulation in mind my water quality has increased noticeably. (y)

I like what you have, but it looks like you need to open it up to allow better circulation.

(excuse the container, my large and nasty brittle star in solitary confinement.. LOL)

Thanks guys. Yes it already was a pain with several avalanches and bristle worm stings. I guess u thought if the LFS were setting up similar displays that they knew what they were doing. This was my tank before but again same forum people were saying build it up when I sought advice. You always want a tank that not only yourself but others find attractive. It's so hard. ? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434920934.528582.jpg

Honestly with right water flow any aquascape is okay haha. Pack it with coral. You have beautiful live stock... Love your coral

Nice looking tank!
If detritus becomes an issue you can simply add or redirect the flow from your circulation pumps.
Looks real good IMO!

as long as you have circulation through out the rock work you will be fine
you may want to add a extra power head on the rear side of tank to blow behind the rock
my first tank was built with a more dense appearance , as long as you blow off the rocks with a turkey baster when doing maintenance you'll be fine,
this was my first tank
2.jpg

hope you achieve what you envision :)

Thanks 54seaweed. I am going to buy a smaller powerhead so I can do just that ? do you have pics of your current tank?

forgot to mention it has a little over 300lbs of rock , scaping is one of the hardest things to do by yourself, it's always better having a second set of eyes as it's hard to see what your doing from above , it took me about 15 attempts until I got it to where I liked it,
there's also 2 small power heads built into the rocks on either side , I also built those 2 piles on either end to be hollow making like maze type walls for fish and inverts to roam

Hard to do when your tank is stocked, worrying if a rock collapses and crushes a fish.

Hard to do when your tank is stocked, worrying if a rock collapses and crushes a fish.

I'm always worried about that when I start to pull my rocks up or just rearranging things.

?Check out my tank shots recent tank pics in Instagram under #cgtanks

Back
Top Bottom