Chris' 29 gal Biocube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeftCoaster

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone! Thanks for taking a peek! Any comments or suggestions are welcome!
Please ignore the pink algae. Seems to come up by end of day (6 hours of light) and is gone in morning...
Tanks been running since 1/1/13.
Leather coral in center is the star, but the Brain Coral is pretty awesome too!

Attachments

• Front1.jpg
    Front1.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 202
  • left2.jpg
    left2.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 208
  • Right1.jpg
    Right1.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 190
  • Leather1.jpg
    Leather1.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 175
That's a really great reef, I'm about to set up a 30 gal reef but I need advice on a protein skimmer It's been recommended I get the remora but I'm not sure how obtainable they are in Australia

Protein skimmer

My LFS has advised me that with weekly 5gal water changes and not over feeding the fish, a protein skimmer is not needed.
I'm not sure where I would put one anyway as the top comes down too low over the main part of the tank and the big chamber in the back is full of live rock instead of the bio balls and stuff that came with the tank. My heater is in the first chamber so there's no room there either.
In the 1 1/2 years it's been up now, I've not noticed a need for one nor do the corals......

If you are keep up with your water changes at 10%, you can get away without having a skimmer on tanks under 30 gallons as it is easy to do water changes to bring parameters down if needed.

Back
Top Bottom