Clownfish breeding tanks/ venture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yeahitstrue

Aquarium Advice Regular
Yesterday, I laid down and picked up the first tank, which is a 30 gallon, and everything that would go in it, including forty pounds of live sand, thirty one pounds of live rock, an aerospace protein skimmer, and aquaclear fifty gallon filter, coralife deluxe power compacts, and a 550 gph powerhead. This will be the tank for the mated pair, and i got it all set up yesterday. The tank has cleared up rapidly and I'll be posting pics tonight!!!

From top attachment to bottom attachment, equipment from side, tank from side, part of front. ( I can't get any farther away with the cam to get a wider shot..)

Attachments

• image-1078528892.jpg
    image-1078528892.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 207
  • image-3495320821.jpg
    image-3495320821.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 205
  • image-2982088999.jpg
    image-2982088999.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 214
Pending if donis reef gets any snowcassos in stock tomorrow, my plan is to buy a pair in the next thirty hours from now. If anybody doesn't know what snowcassos look like, you can find out here at www. Donisreef.com. Now, I've heard that clownfish pairs can start breeding between three and twelve months after there put in your tank, but does anyone know at what age/size clownfish reach sexual maturity?

Also, since you
Wanted to see a photo of the whole thing, I remove my bookcase ( I actually broke it in the process, but thats okay, it was getting old and I was gonna replace it soon anyway). And so here is a photo of the entire front of the tank!

Attachments

• image-91972039.jpg
    image-91972039.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 226
HEY! MAJOR UPDATE!

I ordered a pair of already spawning/breeding onyx perc clownfish from Ibluewater. I'm planning on setting up the cultures within the next week! I'll send pics when the clowns arrive! (I have a hard time deciding which morph of the clown I like best D:)

Also, In the test department, my nitrates are going up and nitrites down. Ill have my water change done and the tank will be all cycled by the time they get here. (wednesday)

Tank purchased on 4/20 and cycle is to be finished on 4/27?? You may be headed into problems

Why? I mean, the test say that it's almost finished cycling... I dunno. I'm no expert, I'm just following my tests.

if you had an ammonia spike and nitrite and you have nitrates then your cycled did you get the lr locally maybe you didnt have much die off

No but I got it already completely cured. It had been sitting in a tank for a while, and there was only a short drive home. I couldn't imagin much had died in that time, since it went in the tank right when we got home. But I definitely had an ammonia spike, than a nitrite spike, and now nitrites are going down and nitrates are goin' up.

You have to remember that in a new tank only enough bacteria gets established to handle the current ammonia production. When you add fish that ammonia production spikes again which can be more than your current bacterial colony can handle. You should be fine though as long as you are careful not to over feed and add more livestock slowly.

It's actually just going to be the breeding pair in this tank. Maybe a few mushrooms or softees to liven things up.

In that case you should be fine IMO. Good luck with the breeding. That should be exciting having babies!

If I do have success, I'll be offering them up on her :D. I'll probably fail atleast a good few times first though.

Which ones did you order? These ones?

Black Onyx True Percula (A. Percula) SB-PAIR

$585 for a pair :shocked!: Definitely can't wait to see pictures of these guys!

Yes, those are the exact ones I ordered :p I've been working long and hard at my LFS to pay for those. (I get forty-five percent off everything there, so the tank was ALOT easier to pay for.)

Back
Top Bottom