Doug's 105 rimless build and diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That looks slick! I love the idea it really breaks out of the box vs a regular stand.

have you considered the fact that the weight load will now be concentrated on those four points rather than spread across a few floor joists? Your going to have about 300lbs + of pressure concentrated in a 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 area by my calculations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Doug not to jump the gun on you but have you decided on how you're going to hang your lights, I'm looking for ideas for the 150 build

The table look is great. My next house will have a sump/filtration room for sure.

Hey Doug not to jump the gun on you but have you decided on how you're going to hang your lights, I'm looking for ideas for the 150 build
Not yet, but I want something I can raise and lower with ease. Some sort of hanging hardware with a pulley system so that I can push the light up or down to suit my needs. It's a rimless tank, so I'm going to want to showcase it from the top as well as the sides, but hanging the light(s) too high will blind me as I watch TV. I'm also starting out with the 8 lamp T5 unit for now....so I'll need something that can support that weight.

have you considered the fact that the weight load will now be concentrated on those four points rather than spread across a few floor joists? Your going to have about 300lbs + of pressure concentrated in a 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 area by my calculations
I'm on a slab, so, no worries about the weight. If the concrete held a 300, it will hold a 105. ;)

Thanks guys for the kudos! To be continued.....I'm getting ready to leave the house for a 12+ hour plow job :(

It's final resting place......
img_2804258_0_2a1b770303eb107649375fb54f2b8b16.jpg

I was thinking the same. So...the room behind it is the mad scientist's workshop and you are plumbing into there?

Not the most cost effective solution but I was looking at possibly hiding the Taos inside a stained glass billiard table light

Not the most cost effective solution but I was looking at possibly hiding the Taos inside a stained glass billiard table light

if you are going that far, you mineaswell just gut the Taos and mount them into the billiard light.

if you are going that far, you mineaswell just gut the Taos and mount them into the billiard light.

I might just be a little to lazy for that, plus the only fixture I've found so far that would fit nicely over the 150 has a price tag over $500 so back to the drawing board

Ok...so I rearranged the sump room with the help of friends and have drilled the holes for the drains and return-

a 2" hole to the left to accommodate a 1" pipe and grommet, and 2.5" holes on the right for drains-
img_2812778_0_b6917700d0e374a40288632adcade5a3.jpg

img_2812778_1_76a078bb5ca5af375ac4e103137225ff.jpg

And in the back, the current sump and frag tank setup-
img_2812778_2_2d637ef960c056223f15461486677901.jpg

...and the water will come in right here-
img_2812778_3_9d0f8e687d60fb8a436d1d8cf46c4457.jpg

Just a question before it all gets buttoned up, in the first pic the back glass of the tank looks like it's right up to the drywall have you taken any precautions against splashes, moisture or mildew in the wall area directly behind the tank?

It's going to be about 3-4" away when all is said and done. The wall is primed and painted. I haven't seen a tank cause a problem like you mention unless something is spraying salt on a regular basis like an air stone or skimmer bubbles. no worry of that here, and even during water changes the display will remain constant and all work will be done in back. The only time it may splash is if I have my arm in it, and then I'll be there to correct the screw up ;)

Back
Top Bottom