Doug's 250, now 300, in wall build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i don't spot feed my corals either, once in a while i'll feed mysis shrimp but thats on a rare occasion and everything is pretty healthy and growing well even under 4x24watt t5ho

I'm testing a system to stimulate growth so I'm looking at a number of factors. The sugars the algae produces will sure sustain and grow some corals, but those polyps are there to catch food. My theory is that with proper spot feeding that even mostly photosynthetic corals can be grown faster. The issue is what is the optimum food to feed them in this case? And will it speed or change the way they grow?

But I am a newbie coral feeder. Always just let them do their thing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. This made sense to me. When on the real reef, the water is sometimes very clear but often there are blooms of various critters that fog the water. There is a lot floating out there. Do you think we short change ourselves by having fine particulate filters in our reef aquariums? Maybe its our aquariums we have turned into deserts and not the natural reef.

Those videos were awesome too! I wish I had that camera!
Hmm...I'm not sure about the nutrients, But I see a lot of successful tanks with very low nutrient levels, and very few successful tanks with high nutrients.

Those videos were awesome too! I wish I had that camera!
Hmm...I'm not sure about the nutrients, But I see a lot of successful tanks with very low nutrient levels, and very few successful tanks with high nutrients.

Ditto on the camera !

I think it depends on the coral. Gonipora for example needs some docs in the water to thrive.

Initially when I get a coral in, I sort of overdo it with target feedings for a while, Until it's nice and fat..

I just got in some Aussie scolys and other odds and ends. A supplier I know sells "scratch and dent" scolys from Aussie cheap. some have the skeleton showing, and many have receded a bit. A couple months of feedings and they are super awesome again.

I still can't afford it....I just advertised some for sale on CL....I just leased a new Honda and I think I may have over extended my puny paycheck! ;)

I bought a new Ford Escape. Totally cut back my coral cash! It's a good thing though, tank is full and just can't get over on this red algae. One small chance to grow on a coral skeleton and its over.

the way i see it with SPS is they feed on mostly phytoplankton, a well established DSB with proper granulars of sand is able to house all sorts of life that come out at night and feed SPS corals, while its nice to feed them yourself and beef them up a bit with a fully established system i don't think its needed as the life in the reef does the work to keep them fed and healthy just get the lights right and you're golden.

from my research on DSBs i have learned a little bit about them and the many benefits they have other then filtration

Ron Shimek's Website...Deep Sand Beds

I buy Nannochloropsis Algae Paste and freeze it into ice cube trays to feed to my pod farm. I bet a diluted amount of this would feed the corals fine.

mostlikely will but thats doign something a DSB already does :p free is best in an expensive hobby like ours.

i'm a big believer in DSBs simply because they are not only a money saver but a time saver as well. they do all the nitrate exporting essencially making waterchages obselete, unless to replenish trace elements for coral and life growth, but does not need to be done on a weekly bases if dosing with calcium if anything they can be done on a monthly basis even on to quarterly or bi yearly. not to mention it seeds your system and keeps a more natural less stressful environment.

i love DSBs and i would push the ideas to everyone if i could, the setup might be a bit pricey when it comes to buying sand but the long run the way i see it is worth it

mostlikely will but thats doign something a DSB already does :p free is best in an expensive hobby like ours.

i'm a big believer in DSBs simply because they are not only a money saver but a time saver as well. they do all the nitrate exporting essencially making waterchages obselete, unless to replenish trace elements for coral and life growth, but does not need to be done on a weekly bases if dosing with calcium if anything they can be done on a monthly basis even on to quarterly or bi yearly. not to mention it seeds your system and keeps a more natural less stressful environment.

i love DSBs and i would push the ideas to everyone if i could, the setup might be a bit pricey when it comes to buying sand but the long run the way i see it is worth it

But disturbing the dsb wouldn't be a good thing and not something I'd recommend to a beginner. A dsb is def something I'd consider for my next setup though, for just all those reasons.

Back
Top Bottom