Doug's 250, now 300, in wall build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's this very thread that I posted PAR readings from the LED fixtures I am using. I didn't post any PAR readings on halides, because I wasn't running any at the time. Page 83, there is a photo about half way down I think, with the numbers on the pic. The tank is the old 31" tall tank though. The PAR readings on the sand bed in this tank are over 200.

img_1954796_0_e78dfff1a9b3fd49022f10870cc01c04.jpg

Thanks again, found it already though! I needed it to show the par numbers on another forum. We are comparing it to metal halides.

I have not been able to grow SPS on the sand bed with any 250 watt lamp. I think, despite the PAR numbers above, the LEDs we are using are more potent than 250 watt halides. I've tried both magnetic and electronic ballasts and tried XM 10k, XM 20k, Hamilton 14k, Ushio 14k, Reeflux 12k, and Phoenix 14k.

Only been about a month for me but my Chinese knock off LEDs are getting amazing results. I am still only up to 50% intensity and everything but my Duncans are exploding.

Doug Ive been doing way to much reading on LEDs, and I've started to doubt LEDs, I think youd be the one to change my mind. I have the dimmable 120w, and I'm thinking I'm going to have to add a supplemental strip of led or maybe just make a canopy and go with a small halide. It seems as if Cree LEDs arent really the best for a tank, good for the main light but you still need more spectrum, I guess royal blue and cool white doesnt cut it, especially for sps. I'm going to add cyan, uv (the 405nm violets, not really uv), red, green, and a few types of white. I'm hoping this will help me get the colors I'm needing, but is all this really necessary? I haven't gotten a straight answer, maybe there just isn't one..

I wouldn't think the color spectrum would matter, I could be wrong. I have the same ones Doug does.

needmorecowbell said:
Doug Ive been doing way to much reading on LEDs, and I've started to doubt LEDs, I think youd be the one to change my mind. I have the dimmable 120w, and I'm thinking I'm going to have to add a supplemental strip of led or maybe just make a canopy and go with a small halide. It seems as if Cree LEDs arent really the best for a tank, good for the main light but you still need more spectrum, I guess royal blue and cool white doesnt cut it, especially for sps. I'm going to add cyan, uv (the 405nm violets, not really uv), red, green, and a few types of white. I'm hoping this will help me get the colors I'm needing, but is all this really necessary? I haven't gotten a straight answer, maybe there just isn't one..

My Cree's have done a wonderful job of growing just about everything that I have in my tank for the last year,.i wouldn't change a thing,... Sometimes I think we spend too much time looking at numbers etc and not enough time just looking at results.

Well that's where I started to look. There was a metal halide vs led experiment on vivid aquariums.com and the corals under halides were much more colorful. The tricolor acro was the most different. There are a few threads about it on different forums.

What r the measurements of the LED box? I'm trying to figure out if I can fit one in a hexagon lid.

Back
Top Bottom