Doug's 250, now 300, in wall build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr_X

Aquarium Advice Addict
i've started on my next system. it's going to be a very slow process since i'm renovating the house i'm living in while i'm constructing a reef system and i don't really have money for both.
so here we go:

I was told by a friend that a brand new 7' x 24" x 31" tank was for sale on craigslist for 350 bucks, so i went and picked it up. it's not my ideal tank, due to the shallower front to back dimension and of course the height, but the price was right.

a tight fit in the audi wagon!
img_1535965_0_fa1d8064c1ef064739d7861cb83b75af.jpg

upon closer examination the height of the actual glass is only 29" so, there is 2" of ornamental wood border around it. that makes the tank hold about 253 gallons of water.
anyway, i leak tested it on my front porch and initially was quite upset, thinking this glass had way too much iron in it and was far too green for a reef tank, but it turns out it is my water that's green!
img_1535965_1_1f557fa252b7bacf6c5146c5661e54a8.jpg

img_1535965_2_3708bdd6c65bf7bab7e6460f1ba04d1c.jpg

needless to say, ginger and i only drink R.O. or bottled water now.

i'm almost finished with the stand, and all i have to do is sit the tank on top to double check exactly where i'm going to make the access holes for drains and such.
it's a single piece of 3/4" plywood with a 2x6 frame, and 2 x 4's for legs.
plenty strong-
img_1535965_3_29a0eed3e8b2fc57359aa8e8f50cf03b.jpg

img_1535965_4_58757bc8c3d9b0c2a5c6d01c647a4e43.jpg

one thing i should mention- this tank was a custom build, and they constructed small glass overflow boxes on each end. no teeth are present and i'm afraid of snails and fish going over. i'm going to have to figure out a screen of sorts that doesn't look ugly. plus, they drilled a hole a few inches down, i guess for a return line. what a mistake IMO. i'll be plugging those up.-
img_1535965_5_c551a352ceb3797023f06457cd4db5aa.jpg

not sure about any other components right now. i have a single 8 x 54 watt t-5 ho fixture sitting in the garage, but it's 48", and that will mean i'll need another, and some light will overhang. not too big a deal i guess, but i'm weighing other options.

as for a sump- i might use some rubbermaid stock tanks. maybe another CL glass tank...

Wow, this is gonna be fun! Now we get a chance to see how it's done by one of the best!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Great, one more thing on the internet I'm going to have to check out every day! lol I can't wait!

The only downside is this could get expensive for me... "mr x did this, mine's like that..... gotta fix it!"

Seriously though, I am pumped about this.

most definitely a reef. there is no other for me anymore. thanks for the kind words, but i'm not "the best"... just paid some attention in the last few years.
\now i need a 6" sand bed and a LOT of rock.

Sweet!! Same tank i got off CL a couple weeks ago ,minus the overflows...

Guy told me it was a custom 280,,but the dims are almost exact to yours..just 32 inches high instead of 31...O'well

Congrats on the pick up..
Is it going in your basement ..Just curious if you were going to reinforce your joists in it wasn't..I'm in the process of that now

most definitely a reef. there is no other for me anymore. thanks for the kind words, but i'm not "the best"... just paid some attention in the last few years.
\now i need a 6" sand bed and a LOT of rock.

Your right, reefs are absolutely beautiful. Especially in a big tank! What kind of fish are you thinking of? Can't watch the progress on this build......

a few tangs perhaps. a half dozen skunk cleaner shrimp, maybe a trio of anthias.

Yea, I think tangs would look great. My favorite tangs come from the family Zebrasoma (probably spelt wrong). I think a school of yellows would look cool!

i know where. i just have to cut the wall open to install it. there is nothing like an in-wall tank. i'll be sure to shoot pics of the demo and rebuild.

Yeah , i really wanted to do one also,,but the basement has no heat yet and the upstairs has really no walls,,very open floor plan...,,Anyway,,I'll just have to live my dream through you:lol:...
I also was curious if you were going to reinforce your joist,,simply trying to get ideas on the best way to do it and cheapest.. ...Which i'm sure i'll be getting plenty from your build

i have a 12' x 13' fish room and will have multiple tanks in that room. i'm expecting to have a few frag tanks and a FOWLR also, all fed by a single sump. (i'm on a slab. no joists to reinforce. any larger tank and i'd be putting a footer under it)

i have a 12' x 13' fish room and will have multiple tanks in that room. i'm expecting to have a few frag tanks and a FOWLR also, all fed by a single sump.

That's awesome! Do you have any pictures?:thanks:

Right on doug, I'll be watching. I have a feeling this tank will be the bomb.. I wish I could start from scratch sometimes. I don't know if you saw my post from the other day, I'm working on a gorgonian and species specific tank in a restaurant next month

i'll take some pictures as i continue. right now it's just the junk room.

squasnatch- no, i didn't see your post about the gorgonian tank. good luck with it!

Back
Top Bottom