dp's 300 gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been struggling trying to keep nitrates under 4-5 so I decided to implement a little algae scrubber hoping it would help! Few months in and I'm holding around or just under 2.5 most weeks. Every little bit helps I guess. Those tangs eat and eat!!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1473222856.509800.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1473222870.112712.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1473222881.028596.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1473222892.834407.jpg

Cleaning it about every two to three weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your tangs look great and IMO that's directly a result of excellent swimming and hiding room. Attaboy!

That tank looks so good. I want to get myself at set up like that once I go through college and have my own place.

At that size how often do you do water change if any and how much? I have a 75 and want to upgrade eventually to 150 or 200+ so I can get larger angels and tangs like a sohal tang. I have heard people with larger tanks don't even do water changes at all. With proper filtration, good skimmer, good sand/miracle mud and rocks

impressive looks great wish my tank looked that pristine , those coral look awesome what all is in there

At that size how often do you do water change if any and how much? I have a 75 and want to upgrade eventually to 150 or 200+ so I can get larger angels and tangs like a sohal tang. I have heard people with larger tanks don't even do water changes at all. With proper filtration, good skimmer, good sand/miracle mud and rocks

Stan,

I have a 180 gallon reef with a Desjardini, Orange Shoulder, and Naso Tangs. I do a 30 gallon change every other week along with B-Ionics dosing. It's a mixed reef.

I do a 50 gallon water change once a week. I started noticing nitrates and phosphate creeping higher than I'd like when I tried every other week. I feed them well so lots of waste. Good luck on the upgrade!

My skimmer pump died recently and to be honest, I just wasn't stoked about my skimmer so....Despite the insane price tag I decided to upgrade to the regal 300sss 12" space saver. Upon arrival we wiped down with a little vinegar, made a few mods to the sump area and on day 1 it was producing some pretty good skimmate!

IMG_3926.jpg

I also attached the collection cup to my drain and man o man, that is soooo awesome. Being able to flip a value and drain the nasty every other day without removing the cup is fantastic! Happy fish and happy fish daddy!

It looks awesome. I'm wondering how much noise you have and if you have any smell as it looks like your equipment is all under your stand. Do you get any complaints from your wife.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It looks awesome. I'm wondering how much noise you have and if you have any smell as it looks like your equipment is all under your stand. Do you get any complaints from your wife.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thank you! No equipment is under the tank so noise isn’t bad...just some from the wave makers. Sometimes they get a bit noisy like a dishwasher which the wife doesn’t love but tolerates. No smell.

Hi all! Long overdo update! Thought I’d post a few updated pictures and perhaps get myself motivated to clean up the tank and possibly add some new additions. Happy to report most of the fish are thriving. Achilles Tang now over 5 years in my 300! Sad to report Kenya trees are taking over!

IMG_8193.jpg

IMG_8196.jpg

IMG_8197.jpg

IMG_8195.jpg

Last edited:
That Achilles is a stunner! The Kenya trees though...idk if you can pay someone to take them!

Back
Top Bottom