Dragon.goby's 120g Build!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragon.goby

Aquarium Advice Freak
About 2 1/2- 3 weeks ago I got a 120g tank off of craigslist for $400! It came with a protein skimmer, 5 powerheads, a custom built 35g sump, a T5 fixture and much much more. I didn't need to buy a single thing. I set it up as soon as I got it home and added 4 pounds of live rock (From my 3g JBJ cubey) and a uncooked shrimp to start the cycle. The cycle just finished yesterday! Fastest I've ever cycled a tank! My readings are:

Ammonia: 0

pH: 8.2

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 10

Calcium: 410

On Thursday I am going to stop by my LFS and get the rest of my live rock and sand then carry on from there. I do not know exactly what I plan to stock my tank with yet but I have a few ideas. Any suggestions are extremely welcome :D

2 Black & White Ocellaris Clownfish

1 Diamond Watchman Goby

Now I was looking online and I saw this fish called a Marine Betta. Does anyone have any knowledge on this fish? They seem really cool and look like a great center piece fish. But I like to do my research first (y) Thanks for reading, I will update as I go along!

Attachments

• IMG_0682.jpg
    IMG_0682.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0684.jpg
    IMG_0684.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0692.jpg
    IMG_0692.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 186
Ok guys I have 2 questions for you:

1. How long should I be leaving my lights on for

2. Are these diatoms or dinoflagellates?

Attachments

• IMG_0710.jpg
    IMG_0710.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0712.jpg
    IMG_0712.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0713.jpg
    IMG_0713.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0714(2).jpg
    IMG_0714(2).jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 168
Ok guys I have 2 questions for you:

1. How long should I be leaving my lights on for

2. Are these diatoms or dinoflagellates?

Are they filmy or bubbly with little hair like things?

Just know the Marine Betta are very beautiful, pretty big not like a FW Betta and cost a good chunk of money.

Last edited:
Are you going to get fully cured live rock? And sand? Otherwise you'll have to cycle again when you fill it with the rock/sand - that's where all your beneficial bacteria live ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are you going to get fully cured live rock? And sand? Otherwise you'll have to cycle again when you fill it with the rock/sand - that's where all your beneficial bacteria live ;)

Yes I do plan to get fully cured live rock. Thanks for the heads up though :)

Are they filmy or bubbly with little hair like things?

Just know the Marine Betta are very beautiful, pretty big not like a FW Betta and cost a good chunk of money.

They don't look bubbly but they they are kinda stringy looking. And I can work the money thing out later, and live aquaria said they only need 50g. Is this true?

They don't look bubbly but they they are kinda stringy looking. And I can work the money thing out later, and live aquaria said they only need 50g. Is this true?

I have a marine betta in my 55 reef. Contrary to popular belief, saying that they aren't reef safe...isn't fully true as they will only eat any crabs/shrimp you put in the tank. These guys do get pretty big and are not fans of bright light. They like to hide and need lots of places to duck into. You also have to be careful not to keep them with fish that are too fast, as they will simply steal the food from right infront of them. I've watched it happen with my coral beauty. All of that said, this is my favorite fish in my tank. The only downfall is that you rarely see him since they hide pretty constantly.

I have a marine betta in my 55 reef. Contrary to popular belief, saying that they aren't reef safe...isn't fully true as they will only eat any crabs/shrimp you put in the tank. These guys do get pretty big and are not fans of bright light. They like to hide and need lots of places to duck into. You also have to be careful not to keep them with fish that are too fast, as they will simply steal the food from right infront of them. I've watched it happen with my coral beauty. All of that said, this is my favorite fish in my tank. The only downfall is that you rarely see him since they hide pretty constantly.

Ok thanks! Although I would love to have one, but I wish to have crabs and shrimp. They sound like a fish I may get in another tank.

Another question, how long should I keep my lights on for? I read somewhere that too much lighting will cause the diatoms/Dino's to grow faster and if I cut down on my lighting as much as possible, I can starve them. Is this true?

You dont need to have your lights on at all during the cycle of the tank.

Ok update time guys! Sorry I didn't get to it sooner, I've been super busy. Anyway, I got about 60lbs of LR for now and I'll be getting the rest sometime after Christmas when I'm not so busy. Not 100% on the aquascape but I can't really determine anything permanent until I get the rest of my LR. The diatoms have really been fighting but in fighting harder! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419284311.919198.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419284323.366767.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419284334.334305.jpg

just leave the diatoms? they don't harm anything and will go once the silicates are consumed

just leave the diatoms? they don't harm anything and will go once the silicates are consumed

How long does it usually take? I just hate the look of them. Can't stand them!

It varies from tank to tank, mine were gone in a week and a half. It can take longer though.

Ok update time! I got a new protein skimmer because my pump broke on my old one and thought that this one wouldn't get the job done. It's a coralife 220g skimmer and looked great for the price. I also ordered a new powerhead, sand, the rest of my live rock, a ro/di system, and a few small things I needed. I will update when the stuff comes. Excited about aquascaping and then I can get to stocking!! :)

Back
Top Bottom