Dubber's 40 Gallon Breeder Mixed Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iadubber

Aquarium Advice Freak
The time has come for me to retire my 72 gallon bowfront. I have hated that tank from day one. I will move the minimal livestock and corals I have to this tank and sell or trash the bowfront.

I picked up a 40 breeder, stand, canopy, and DIY LED halide canopy.

Inside the canopy is:

-250w radium
-Galaxy select a watt ballast
-12 Cree royal blue 3w led
-Mean well LPC-35-700 driver
-Large bat wing reflector
-2 12v fans and transformer

Tank is drilled 1" in the center with a strainer. I may redrill and put my Glass Holes 700 kit in it. Has a drilled 3/4" return on the left. Came with a nice top frame with netting as well. And some other various tidbits. I need to find a way to hang the light canopy up about 6" off the water.

Plans are to move my clown pair and chromis here. Add in a goby and blenny and a coral beauty eventually. Also to make it a mixed reef.

IMG_4557 by iadubber, on Flickr

IMG_4558 by iadubber, on Flickr

IMG_4559 by iadubber, on Flickr

Pic of the leds and halide on at 175 watts.

IMG_4561 by iadubber, on Flickr

That's a nice find. That's a 40 breeder the pics make it look bigger.
Why didn't u like the bowfront ..

That's a nice find. That's a 40 breeder the pics make it look bigger.
Why didn't u like the bowfront ..

The curved front made it nearly impossible for me to pursue macro photography and it's pretty scratched up. I bought it sight unseen before I knew anything. I didn't even inspect it for scratched because it was so dirty when I got it.

iadubber said:
The curved front made it nearly impossible for me to pursue macro photography and it's pretty scratched up. I bought it sight unseen before I knew anything. I didn't even inspect it for scratched because it was so dirty when I got it.

I have a 46 BF and I feel you on the curved glass.. it looks fantastic until you wanna take a picture or clean it... Takes me forever to scrape the front glass lol

I have a 46 BF and I feel you on the curved glass.. it looks fantastic until you wanna take a picture or clean it... Takes me forever to scrape the front glass lol

same here, the previous owner must have used steel wool or something abrasive to clean it. I really fell in love with the 40 breeder after I saw one at a friend of a friend's house up north.

Ya my favorite small tank is definately the 40b.. you gotta love the dimensions of it. That was actually my original plan until I found a used 46 drilled and fully setup just needing a reef light for $125...your 72 is a 4 ft tank though isn't? If you were already at that much volume why not go with the 75...I just couldn't imagine cutting down to almost half the tank size, if anything gotta double mine in size haha

Ya my favorite small tank is definately the 40b.. you gotta love the dimensions of it. That was actually my original plan until I found a used 46 drilled and fully setup just needing a reef light for $125...your 72 is a 4 ft tank though isn't? If you were already at that much volume why not go with the 75...I just couldn't imagine cutting down to almost half the tank size, if anything gotta double mine in size haha

It was more of a personal and money flow decision and it was my plan to buy a new 75 RR and stand, but by the time I priced it out to get going that direction I saw the 40b and was instantly attracted to the size. Yeah the 72 is 4ft. I'm hoping I can get a couple bucks from it even though it's scratched up.

Try getting some scratch remover and buffer it up nicely. Might be able to get twice as much for it then and its not to much work once its tore down..or even store it away if it looks good enough for down the road maybe (got 7 more tanks in my basement : / lol)

Well taking the tank out to the patio the drain PVC caught on the door and boom instant cracked back glass. Sucks I couldn't take off the drain line sine the previous guy had it PVC glued to the bulkhead. Really sucks!

New glass panel and full reseal. Also drilled the two new returns. Still need to get the overflow off my 72 so I can precisely drill that hole. Will water test tomorrow. I know its a lot of work for a 40b but they aren't easy to come by around here and the dollar per gallon is far off!

Untitled by iadubber, on Flickr

Got everything transferred over and setup today. That was a chore that I don't want to do again anytime soon!

Untitled by iadubber, on Flickr

My friend is making me some brackets to raise up the light canopy about 6" off the water. Currently running the MH at 150w on the select-a-watt to keep heat down. So far I haven't had any trouble with the light heating the water.

Now to save for an MP10.

Current stocklist:
1 Blue Green Chromis
2 O. Clowns
Hammer
Candy Cane
Small frag of zoas

I'm pretty open to stocking and haven't made any decisions in that regard yet.

jose7878 said:
Those are some nice frags ... Nice picture quality. What type of camera are you using.

Thanks the one white frag hasn't shown it's polyps much. Hoping it opens up a bit. I'm not sure the exact species on that one though.

I use a canon 5d with a Tamron 90mm macro lens for these.

Back
Top Bottom