Evans 40 Gallon Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally an Update! Siliconed the Sump and overflow this morning. (waiting for it to dry) Painted the back of the tank black, got the tank drilled, and got a skimmer. Going to paint the overflow black as well when everything dries.

Couple questions for you:

How much did it cost to get your tank drilled?

Where did you get your stand and how much?

Looks great man! Can't wait to do mine!

Couple questions for you:

How much did it cost to get your tank drilled?

Where did you get your stand and how much?

Looks great man! Can't wait to do mine!

I got the tank drilled from a local reefer! He charged $10 a hole.

Tank and stand I got from a LFS for like... $240? (Before I knew about petcos dollar a gallon sale and all!)

Thanks! :) Cant wait to follow along.

So what are you going to do? Are you just going to transfer everything over or have two separate reefs?

What fish/ corals/ inverts are you most excited about adding?

So what are you going to do? Are you just going to transfer everything over or have two separate reefs?

What fish/ corals/ inverts are you most excited about adding?

After the new tank is cycled I'm going to transfer over livestock from the 20 and just have the 40 reef.

I'm probably most excited about an anemone and a big frogspawn or hammer! Like a huge one!

Nice! I want an anemone too!

So I have some advice, and you probably know this already but I made the mistake so I want other not to do the same...

When setting up the 40, make up your salt mix and don't add anything for at least 24 hours or more. I just moved my coral from my 5 to a 20 so my gf could have a tank. I moved too fast and pretty much shocked everything because the salt wasnt well dissolved. :( my birdsnest is trashed. Everything else is starting to recover because I finally realized what happened and went to my LFS to get a water change.

I would also set up the 40, then add the anemone first. Let it find it's spot and then start adding everything else. I don't have experience with one yet but it sounds like they can be picky on what they find comfortable. Since you have such beautiful coral, you wouldn't want that anemone stinging them!

Nice! I want an anemone too!

So I have some advice, and you probably know this already but I made the mistake so I want other not to do the same...

When setting up the 40, make up your salt mix and don't add anything for at least 24 hours or more. I just moved my coral from my 5 to a 20 so my gf could have a tank. I moved too fast and pretty much shocked everything because the salt wasnt well dissolved. :( my birdsnest is trashed. Everything else is starting to recover because I finally realized what happened and went to my LFS to get a water change.

I would also set up the 40, then add the anemone first. Let it find it's spot and then start adding everything else. I don't have experience with one yet but it sounds like they can be picky on what they find comfortable. Since you have such beautiful coral, you wouldn't want that anemone stinging them!

Well in San Diego, which is where I'm from, all the local reefers use Scripps Water, which is natural sea water but filtered and all. So I wont have that problem.

Also, Im going to cycle the new tank completely with new rock and everything! So when I do transfer, I wont have any problems hopefully!

Lastly, I will probably add the anemone months after the tanks established. They need established tanks! :)

Thanks for the input and advice! :D

Is 350 GPH a good number for a return pump? Im looking locally and theres a good deal for this pump!

I would want something stronger than that. After head loss, it's going to be like 200+ gph. Get a 500 gph pump and choke it back if need be.

Picking up as pump this weekend! After I get the pump, then all I need is sand and rock! :) im getting closer

I picked up some dry rock the other day! I like Texas holey rock and a LFS sell it for like 1.85lb, but I got 36$ lbs for $40. This structure will most likely be the right side of the aquarium. I want to utilize height in this aquarium, and have two structures on each side of the tank. Just some info on the scape and all! :) Enjoy

Finally got the tank in my room!! I have everything dialed in, and now I have to wait to get some more rock, and some water, and all that good stuff! Its getting there! :)

I think Texas holey rock sometimes causes problems in reef tanks. I remember reading it on wwm a while back. Something about the limestone dropping or raising ph I don't remember. And something about phosphates u may want to look into that before u start it up.

I think Texas holey rock sometimes causes problems in reef tanks. I remember reading it on wwm a while back. Something about the limestone dropping or raising ph I don't remember. And something about phosphates u may want to look into that before u start it up.

Hmm, I did some research on it just now and learned a lot haha. I read that it can raise PH a bit, but nothing to the point where its harmful. Mostly what I heard is that its to dense to really hold any BB, which really sucks haha. I wanted to use all dry rock for this tank, except for a few pieces of LR to seed the tank. Im a bit confused on what to do right now. I like the look of the rock... but I had no idea it was mainly used for African Cichlid tanks... This sucks haha

Hmm, I did some research on it just now and learned a lot haha. I read that it can raise PH a bit, but nothing to the point where its harmful. Mostly what I heard is that its to dense to really hold any BB, which really sucks haha. I wanted to use all dry rock for this tank, except for a few pieces of LR to seed the tank. Im a bit confused on what to do right now. I like the look of the rock... but I had no idea it was mainly used for African Cichlid tanks... This sucks haha

Have you looked at the rock offered by BRS? They have a few varieties that are great for BB growth.

Have you looked at the rock offered by BRS? They have a few varieties that are great for BB growth.

There are so many things I want that I can't afford haha! Trust me! I'm buying everything used because I cant afford new. The brs rock was reasonable do I was thinking about getting 40 lbs. 80$ which wasn't bad... But 50$ in shipping! That's crazy! So I'm buying local haha

Back
Top Bottom