First saltwater tank :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alex.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi so this is my first saltwater tank and I just wanted to get some opinions on it it's about 7 months old

Current stock
1 Condy anemone
1 shadow clown
1 snowflake clown
1Peppermint shrimp
3 Kenya tree frags which came from a single tree
1 superman mushroom
1 hammer coral frag
1 gsp frag
1 rainbow acan frag
1 candy cane coral frag
1 zoa colony
It's a 28 jbj nano cf quad running stock I just have chaeto with pods in the front and in the back I'm just running some phosban a sponge and carbon
Various hermits and snails
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1468623263.294416.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I see a couple issues. Do you have anything for flow other than the return? The cyano on the sand bed is feeding on excess nutrients and usually thrives in low flow. Other than that it looks like a good start :)

No just the stock pumps I ordered a koralia wavemaker I believe it's 500gph to add more flow for about 4 months of its life it was only live rock with hermits snails and a damsel I just recently started adding more to the tank now that I have the time

Update on my tank I've added two coralia wavemakers to increase flow more hermits and a starry blenny to help with the hair algae as well as a conch and a sand sifting star to help move the sand around everything is starting to look better :)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471981652.518711.jpg
As for the star fish I have already removed him and gave him back to the lfs he was only there temporarily. I've also upgrade lights I removed the hood completely and suspended some leds above the tank and my corals love seem to be growing already

You may want to be care with the condy anemone, they don't host clown fish and they will eat anything including the clownfish. Or that's at least what I have heard. If you want a good anemone that the clownfish will host try a bubble tip.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You may want to be care with the condy anemone, they don't host clown fish and they will eat anything including the clownfish. Or that's at least what I have heard. If you want a good anemone that the clownfish will host try a bubble tip.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I actually got the Condy for that reason that they don't host I had a rose bubble tip and the clowns would rub against it when the anemone was to small and it was always on the move until one day it went into a power head :( so I got the Condy knowing I wouldn't have that problem and he's happy I feed him a piece of shrimp once a week

Hey it's a good setup for startup... and nice move of adding that powerhead, but would you please tell me what iss that inside, the plastic perforated container on left front side of your tank....?

Last edited by a moderator:
my only concern would be the sand sifting star in a tank of that size he will most likely starve , I do have to say I love that arch

Zod it had chaeto in it I had to keep it in my display until I waited for my refugium light to arrive but now it is in the back with some live rock pieces and since Its been there it grows pretty quick
And seaweed I got rid of that starfish for that exact reason didn't realize he needed a huge sand bed so I ended up returning him to the pet store

IMG_1479701536.818762.jpg
Here is where the chaeto is in the refugium doing pretty good
IMG_1479701625.420387.jpg
I've also went ahead and added a couple mangroves to the display it took about 2 months before they sprouted roots

Be careful with the mangroves in your overflow. Roots can grow into and clog the drain if not overseen properly.

They're not in the overflow I used a rubber band to attach them to a branch rock which sits behind the main rockwork right in front of the overflow I love how it turned out it looks like the mangroves are growing right off the rocks I can't wait until they sprout leaves

Make sure you spray them with water daily to keep the salt off them. It is key to mangrove health. I have 3 myself.

Got that covered I spray them in the morning when I wake up and before I go to bed with RO water.
How long have you had yours? And do they have leaves? I heard it could take months for them to grow.

That is a good question actually. I'm. Not really sure. I've had them longer than I've been married so they are at least 3 years old.
Here is the one that lets us by my algae turf scrubber.
IMG_1479825964.086930.jpg

That's a nice one I can't wait for mine to grow out like that

Ended up upgrading from a regular household light to a LED grow light let's see how my chaeto likes it.IMG_1479870605.038645.jpg

What kind of grow light? I have two LED hydroponic twist in units powering my algae turf scrubber. The curve that the mangrove has? All to get towards the huge amount of light those ugly red lights put out.

It's just a regular LED grow light meant for plants the brand is PPUDSON its 7w 3 red leds 3 blue and 1 65000k white it has a clamp so I was able to clamp it onto the back of my stand and the gooseneck really comes in handy. I'm not to worried about the mangroves going toward it because I have it facing the back of my tank while the mangroves are on the display and are fed by my LED tank lights which are suspended above the whole tank

Ok so I couldn't get back into my account I just wanted to post a tank update. So I added the hydor auto top off and I got a pair of platinum clownfish as well as a rose anemone IMG_1226.jpgIMG_1229.jpg

Back
Top Bottom