Fishwrangler's 75gal Salty Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
looks like a finger pointing at a pod ,
and that is a shrimp molt

I had to get my camera to focus some how ?

Told my dad earlier that I couldn't find the shrimp, and he actually found the 'body'. Couldn't get a good look at it until I moved it to where it is now, and he said its a molt. (He had what I'm going to call "A Caleb moment" lol)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have another dead shrimp err i mean molt. Saw what I thought was the coral banded on a different rock, but then saw him on his usual rock. I didn't know they could reproduce and have fully grown babies overnight lol
I read on live aquaria that iodine should be added to help with molting, is this true?

Elements like iodine are expensive to test for and I've never even seen a hobby grade test kit. The weekly water changes should be easily enough to keep up with a molting shrimp.

Ok. Are 10% weekly water changes ok? My dad told me to do 20% monthly water changes.

Ok. Are 10% weekly water changes ok? My dad told me to do 20% monthly water changes.

That's what I would do. 10-20% weekly. I do 20% on my 10g but then again that's not saying much :)

Caleb

it all depends on how you feed , and also the stock , most of us suggest 10% once a week , this help prevent problems down the line , I myself do 5% 2x a week it just makes it easier on me , once you get to know your tank you could probably stretch it to 2 weeks , as long as you keep up on your testing of parameters ,

That's what I would do. 10-20% weekly. I do 20% on my 10g but then again that's not saying much :)

Caleb

2 gallons is alot easier than 20 isn't it?

it all depends on how you feed , and also the stock , most of us suggest 10% once a week , this help prevent problems down the line , I myself do 5% 2x a week it just makes it easier on me , once you get to know your tank you could probably stretch it to 2 weeks , as long as you keep up on your testing of parameters ,

Right now I'm feeding a little bit of frozen mysis, and if the clowns eat all of the shrimp before the goby can I give them some pellets. I do that every other day.
Is my protein skimmer allowing me to go longer without water changes? That was my understanding of it because it removes the bad stuff.

Shrimp update- the coral banded is in his usual spot, his molt is in the same spot, the scarlet skunk is still MIA, his molt is gone, and the peppermint is now MIA. Peppermint is probably hiding in the purple rock though. Is it possible that the scarlet skunk and coral banded fought after the skunk molted and the coral banded won?

Shrimp update- the coral banded is in his usual spot, his molt is in the same spot, the scarlet skunk is still MIA, his molt is gone, and the peppermint is now MIA. Peppermint is probably hiding in the purple rock though. Is it possible that the scarlet skunk and coral banded fought after the skunk molted and the coral banded won?
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app[/QUOTE]

It is possible...
The coral banded is the toughest.
But I have had all three in my 75 before for YEARS.
The cleaner is the most sensitive IMO and will hide longer then others?

You don't want to add iodine as hank mentioned expensive test for a product that is in such low concentration that waterchanges will do just fine for most .
I can offer links on iodine if you like.
But you NEVER want to add anything you can test for IMO.

Hope you find your cleaner.

I think I found the scarlet skunk, can see two white tenticles sticking out of a rock. I can't get a good angel to be 100% certain though. I know its not the coral banded because I was able to find him. Speaking of the CB he is missing one of his big pinchers, not sure how it happened though.

Not this weekend, but the following I want to get another fish. I would love to get another one of the baby tangs, but I'm afraid it might get sucked into the powerhead.

The female (larger clown) seems to be learning an important lesson...don't get to close to the gobys front door. He charges out with all fins flarred for a few inches and then goes back to his home.

And the skunks mia again?

What type of algae is this?
I am not seeing anymore of the red slime algae, but now this has started spreading. I tried to kill it with h202 when I treated the hair algae, but as you can see it's still here and the hair isn't.

I think the weird glass crawling thing is some kind of snail. Saw a shell on one of the larger things.

almost looks like the starting of green hair but the weird part it looks like it has bubble algae coming off the ends

From my phone look like either brown hair algae or Dinos. More likely brown hair.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you! I looked up the Dinos and thats what it looks like. Increasing water level in my sump now to run the skimmer really wet

Here is a better picture of what this stuff looks like

***this is NOT my picture***

I FOUND MY PEPPERMINT SHRIMP!!!!! :D:D:D :dance::dance: In the overflow box of all places too...
I didn't see the skunk in there, and am still wondering why the peppermint was even close to the overflow.
The shrimp was alive, but did look stressed, very faded colors.

I'm thinking the coral banded has something to do with it. Before getting him the skunk and peppermint where easily found and active. After getting him the first two shrimp became less active. I'm wondering if the peppermint was up near the overflow because the coral banded pushed him from his territory, and the fought with the scarlet skunk(after sthe skunk molted) killing it, and loosing his one pincher arm in the process. My dad thought the powerhead took the pincher arm. I did notice a claw that had to have come from the coral banded in my overflow box, but it could have been the claw off the molt.

I think the little white snails I have been finding are either stomella or collonista snails. From what I have researched it seems both species are harmless.

When you guys set up a QT tank do you use any LR and sand or is it just bare bottom and pvc? I want to start restocking with a pacific tang next.

BB& pvc for qt and hosp IMO.
This is incase any med would be needed as live rock and such can degrade the potency .

Ok, by BB do you mean bioballs or beneficial bacteria?
If by BB you mean bacteria should I 'seed' some ceramic noodles in the DT sump or will taking some of the bio balls be enough? The QT has an AC50 on it so the bacteria would be submerged.

Back
Top Bottom