Fishwrangler's 75gal Salty Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tank is filled and sump is running. 1.022 SG and 76.1 degrees Fahrenheit are the only readingd I have. Also finding out how annoying this sump is...canister has spoiled my noise tolerance lol

I have an API phosphate test for both fw and sw, stick with this brand or go to something else like Red Sea?

Tomorrow I'll try to get to the grocery to get some shrimp to start the cycle.

Sunday I'm going to pick up a Eshopps S-120 Snow Cone skimmer and return the fluval 406. I'll look at a few live rock pieces to help the cycle out as well.

For lighting I'm going to use a 6 tube T5 fixture that my dad used to start our garden. It can be run with only 3 tubes so that's what I'll be doing.

Still open on the stock. The only fish I know I want are the ocellaris clowfish, bicolor dottyback, sixline wrasse, and some type of watchman goby.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

SKIP the bicolor dottyback and go with a royal gramma.
The dotty back are know to be VERY aggressive!
You could check to see if any hawk fish would work,there are many vareties.

SKIP the bicolor dottyback and go with a royal gramma.
The dotty back are know to be VERY aggressive!
You could check to see if any hawk fish would work,there are many vareties.

Ok I'll make a note to change that thanks. I'll also look into the hawk fish.

Some other fish I am considering are azure damselfish, blue tang, yellow tang, foxface lo, and yellowtail damselfish. I would love to do the yellow tang but not sure I have to room for one.

Skip all damsels!
They turn mean(they are mean) and will be VERY difficult to remove later IMO.
It seems sometimes the fish we come to like or want the least , last the longest!
Who would have thought Murphy had an aquarium?(Murphys Law).:facepalm:
Due to scaping(IMO) fish put in marine tanks should be considered permanent.:fish2:
I would one tang or the foxface as they both eat algae and will compete for it in th same space..:hide:

Yellow tail damsels are pretty easy going, not the azure though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Skip all damsels!
They turn mean(they are mean) and will be VERY difficult to remove later IMO.
It seems sometimes the fish we come to like or want the least , last the longest!
Who would have thought Murphy had an aquarium?(Murphys Law).:facepalm:
Due to scaping(IMO) fish put in marine tanks should be considered permanent.:fish2:
I would one tang or the foxface as they both eat algae and will compete for it in th same space..:hide:

Gotcha, I'll look into the two tangs and foxface and then choose one. Thanks for the help

Yellow tail damsels are pretty easy going, not the azure though.

I'll look into the yellowtails a little more. Thanks for the pointer

Can anyone post the link for the saltwater fishless cycle article? I thought I saw it on here but now I can't find it :(
I'm going to add the shrimp tonight, but that's the only part of the article I remember.

Sure. Anything will decompose in there and be an ammonia source. You just want to be picky what goes in. You could cycle it with a ton of fish food...but the amount of phosphates that would go into the water column is the unwanted.

Would household ammonia (dye/perfume/surfactant free) work as well as the shrimp?

If it is pure ammonia, yes. The struggle is sometimes telling the difference. I try to not set people up to fail and guide down the most simple path. Not only is there avoiding the additives issue, but you don't have to keep dosing the tank with ammonia. Everything should be managed with the KIS method.

I have some Ace janitor strength ammonia that I used to cycle my fw tank.

I added a small chunk of cod to start the cycle.
I'm going to order a red sea test kit tomorrow so I can see what's going on.
One thing I don't really understand is where does the bacteria comes from since I don't have any seeded material or live rock? I will have ~15 pounds of live rock sunday to help the cycle.

Nature at it's finest. Provide food and magic happens. No need for live rock at all.
In terms of the test kit, API's master kit to test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate will do what you need it to do. I wouldn't suggest API for any other test kits, but for monitoring a cycle it gets a passing grade.

I see.
Which is easier to read in your opinion the red sea kit or api kit? I know my fw api kit can be a PITA to read sometimes.
To test ph I'm going to get a digital meter so I know exactly what it is.
I want to get the live rock to help the cycle but also to give the tank something more than sand.

I will have a digital thermometer and digital ph meter on Monday and will pick up an api sw kit tomorrow.

Made a stock list that I think will work. Yellowtail damsel ×5 (further research was done and they are one of the least aggressive damsels), Ocellaris clowfish ×4(2 amenomes with 2 clowns per nem right?), royal gramma ×1, pink spotted watchman goby ×2, sixline wrasse ×1, and foxface lo ×1. The order I would add the fish is how they are listed.

Got the test kit but I have to print off a color sheet for it because the one I got is missing it. It's also missing the normal range ph bottle but thats not a big deal. I'll test ammonia and nitrite levels tomorrow to see where they stand.

Well that was a waste of money then if the chemicals are the same as my freshwater kit.
Thanks for the color chart link

you asked for the fish less cycle link here it is:
Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice
as for damsels avoid all even yellow tail damsels are pests , they all are extremely territorial , they act like Parana when in groups they will gang up on weaker fish and kill them , along with new editions , I despise damsels I still have one I was never able to catch he is almost 6 inches now and yes he is still a pest by himself the only time I would suggest damsels is in a preditor tank
in a 75g tank you have a nice selection of fish that would work , just be sure they are compatible with one another , live aquara has the best size and compatibility charts
be sure the fish you choose are good for your tank size and are reef safe if doing a reef

Back
Top Bottom