Fishwrangler's 75gal Salty Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone I decided to turn my new graduation present, a 75 gallon tank, stand, glass top, 300W heater,and Fluval 406 into my first adventure into a saltwater tank.
My dad had a few SW tanks, one reef estimated at 20k in equipment, and some other tanks so he will be helping me alot with this.

Substrate will be number 5 crushed Hawaiian Puca shell.

I want to use the fluval filter to start with. Is this a good idea?

I have no ideas on stocking yet.

I want to buy ~5 pounds of live rock from the lfs my dad went to for his sw stuff and use dry rock for the rest of the rock. Should work right?

Thanks and other suggestions?

Michael

PS- I posted these questions a few hours ago and instead of answering them on that thread answering feel free to answer them there. Questions are here http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336601
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm going to take a ride down to the lfs this weekend to return the canister and get a trickle filter. If the one they have comes with an overflow box and a pump I'll see about getting some water, fish, and live rock.

Fish wise I'm looking for some easy to care for but still cool fish.

I was only going to pick up 4-5 pounds of live and the rest would be dry.
My dad told me to do a fish-in cycle with 8 or so 3-4 inch fish. Said the nitrite and ammonia levels would be low enough because of the tank size.

How long would it take to cycle? My deadline to have it set up is June 13th because thats my graduation party and I don't want an empty tank where alot of people will be.

At least I could have some fish in the tank for those 2-3 weeks. I think 50 people are going to show up for the party and this tank is one of the first things people will see.

An empty tank is not the end of the world. Would be a shame to fill it with fish that don't fit with the final stocking list. Just take your time to work out the pros and cons of how you want to proceed with this.
Continuing from your other thread, like Carey said, if you are going to drill it, better to do it now than later. If you decide you don't like SW anymore, the sump is fine for FW tanks. Or you can cap off the bulkhead fitting. For several years i ran a LifeReef HOB style overflow and sump and, yes, losing siphon and flooding the floor was a big concern. It never happened but in the back of my mind I was worried about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would reconsider the substrate and just go for a nice fine aragonite sand or white play sand instead. Puca shell may look pretty, but it does little for water quality and could actually leach phosphate into the water.

Trying to get a tank up, cycled and stocked in 2 weeks is a bit of a stretch. At the two week mark is actually when you will begin to have rather bad water quality as the ammonia should be well on it's way and nitrite will be on the rise, a deadly cocktail.

Not to be disrespectful your Dad's recommendation is a bit nuts considering. Depending on the specific fish, 8 3"-4" fish is pretty much close to fully stocked for a 75 gallon tank based on current science and understanding of how to best serve the needs of the animals, even more so if you intend to keep coral and inverts as well.

Just something to consider.

I would reconsider the substrate and just go for a nice fine aragonite sand or white play sand instead. Puca shell may look pretty, but it does little for water quality and could actually leach phosphate into the water.

Trying to get a tank up, cycled and stocked in 2 weeks is a bit of a stretch. At the two week mark is actually when you will begin to have rather bad water quality as the ammonia should be well on it's way and nitrite will be on the rise, a deadly cocktail.

Not to be disrespectful your Dad's recommendation is a bit nuts considering. Depending on the specific fish, 8 3"-4" fish is pretty much close to fully stocked for a 75 gallon tank based on current science and understanding of how to best serve the needs of the animals, even more so if you intend to keep coral and inverts as well.

Just something to consider.

Thanks for the substrate tip. When I go down to the lfs Friday afternoon or this weekend I will see what they have. I'll also ask what they think I should do for a cycle.

I know the 2 week thing is a stretch, but I would hate to have alot of family/friends(all of which to my knowledge don't keep fish) come over and have a to see an fishless tank. The deadline was also a strong pro to staying fw with this tank. Cylce would be instant as would the plants.

Welcome to the salty side! Following along!

Thanks

Two more questions.
1. If I can get a sump that comes with a hob overflow should I get it? When my dad and I got everything he said he saw a sump&overflow combo so that's why I'm asking.
2. If the sump overflow combo is a no go what would be a good sump that won't break the bank?

Why not give the LFS a call tomorrow and ask them to list the SW appropriate substrates they have in stock (maybe quantity and prices while their at it)?
Still don't understand why you are in such a rush with this. I mean, the guests will see it for only a few hours while you on the other hand, will have to deal with any repercussions from hasty decisions long afterwards.
If it were me picking out a sump and overflow, I would check out the builds on this and other forums, find the SW equivalent of "Consumer Reports" for product reviews, shop online for better deals and possibly consider DIY. Yes, it can get time consuming and probably not fit your time line, but in the end you will get more satisfaction knowing you did your research and based your decisions on the info you've gathered.
Okay, I'll step away from the podium...

My family and i go down to visit my grandma almost every weekend and we pass the lfs. Stopping in is faster than calling sometimes.

Why not give the LFS a call tomorrow and ask them to list the SW appropriate substrates they have in stock (maybe quantity and prices while their at it)?
Still don't understand why you are in such a rush with this. I mean, the guests will see it for only a few hours while you on the other hand, will have to deal with any repercussions from hasty decisions long afterwards.
If it were me picking out a sump and overflow, I would check out the builds on this and other forums, find the SW equivalent of "Consumer Reports" for product reviews, shop online for better deals and possibly consider DIY. Yes, it can get time consuming and probably not fit your time line, but in the end you will get more satisfaction knowing you did your research and based your decisions on the info you've gathered.
Okay, I'll step away from the podium...

+1 I did weeks of research and learning before I even started my cycle.

I wouldn't even bother with a fish in cycle. Tell your dad he can pay for the saltwater on that one. Fish less is much easier on the wallet.

Fishwrangler's 75gal FOWLR Build

Why not take some media out of your dad's tank if any? Instant cycle an you could meet your deadline. You can also build a sump, take a empty tank and install baffles in it make out of cut glass or arcylic, easier to fit your equipment in it that way and usally cheaper

Why not take some media out of your dad's tank if any? Instant cycle an you could meet your deadline. You can also build a sump, take a empty tank and install baffles in it make out of cut glass or arcylic, easier to fit your equipment in it that way and usally cheaper

He hasn't had a sw tank in years otherwise I would.

Apparently he was joking about the party deadline so I'm going to go fishless cycle.

Last night I started looking into some fish that I liked. I know I couldn't do all of these but would love some opinions on who would work with who. Yellowtail damsel(3-5), ocellaris clowfish(2),bicolordottyback(1), azure damselfish(3), Pacific blue tang(1), yellow tang(1), pink spotted watchman goby(1-2), foxface lo(1), 6 line wrasse(2).

For sumps I have found an eshopps WD-100-CS wet dry sump(aquacave) and an aqueon modular profle sump (BRS). Both are about the same price and have good reviews so I don't know what to go with. The eshopps comes with bioballs, egg crate, overflow box, drip tray, 1" bulkhead, return nozzle with vinyl tubing, and 3' of 1.25" flex hose.

Also since I'm going to use a lot of live and dry rock is the sump going to be mostly for mechanical filtration?

This weekend I'll try to fill the tank with water, add substrate, add heater, add lights, and add some of the rock. Another question should I add egg crate to the bottom glass because of weight?

Went to two lfs today. One I had never been to had a blue tang for $120. :eek: The other one that I have bought a lot of my FW stuff from tried getting me to go reef and a fuge. Ended up walking out of the second lfs with a Eshopps 75 wet/dry sump, a Rio1700 internal pump, hydrometer, salt, and aragonite sand.

After my FW water change I'll set things up and finally fill the tank.

Got the aragonite sand in and just need to get some pvc glue for the sump intake line. Tomorrow I'll start filling the tank with salt water.

Have to pick up a dead coral from my grandpa that he has as a decoration from my dads old tank later this week. I'll also take a closer look at the lfs live rock so I can start getting a scape down.

Back
Top Bottom