Fluval Spec 2.6gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ajene

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Getting my first saltwater tank up, I dont have much room for anything big, so ended up getting a small one to set up next to my desk. Working on the setup a bit. So far just some baserock in there.

Any suggestions on some small fish I could have in here? I'd like to get a few very very small ones.

Attachments

• Fluvalspeccycling.jpg
    Fluvalspeccycling.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 212
I've seen a bunch of 2.6 with different types of fish in them o.o

Just because you've seen it done doesn't make it reasonable or ok. You are gonna have a hard enough time keeping water quality up in such a small system without a fish. This is your first sw right? A 2.6 gallon tank will need daily top off and weekly water changes

I do weekly water changes on my freshwater all the time so that wont be a big deal with add a 2.6 to that mix.

You will need to premix the water overnight. Are you planning a reef? If so those lights need an upgrade. May I recommend a par38 bulb.

A small reef, i'm just leaving the tank as is and might put a catalina goby into it. or a shrimp or something, dunno yet.

Catalina's are cool water fish. Just please don't add a fish, it really isn't fair to them. Stick to inverts

Catalina's are cool water fish. Just please don't add a fish, it really isn't fair to them. Stick to inverts

+1 I would do no fish and stick to inverts. Fish need swimming room especially sw fish. Just because a fish looks small doesn't mean they can live in a small tank.

Unfortunately 2.6g is not enough for anything except some inverts. You can definitely pull off a cool invert tank though, especially if you get a par38 bulb on it, and pack it with a bunch of mushrooms and zoas.. That's what I see at least:)

A tank so small is definitely not the best to start with, but it can be done if you really really stay on top of things

We have a 40 gallon salt water thats in my little sisters room,, this is just one for when i'm working on my business it sits next to my desk. I've just been going with local fish owners who told me I woulc be able to throw a catilina goby in there or something else small.

No offense to those local fish keepers but a Catalina goby won't work due to needing cooler water. Plus the tank is tiny, maybe a neons goby could fit if you truly need a fish but I wouldn't. Just stock with small crabs and coral

The guy that owns it said that goby's need cooler water but he has tank bred ones that have been bred in warmer water, pretty sure he got them off of someone, he's had them in a 5gal display tank in his shop for years, they usually just keep breeding in the tank there. But its pretty cool I guess.

I'd like to see a small fish like that in the fluval spec, not gonna be much more work than I already do, and yes I usually have salt water bucket that's been mixed and sitting for a few days before we do water changes. Anyway this tank is only temporary once I get my house i'm getting a bigger salt water tank anyway.

That guy is spewing bs. Those fish will not breed in warmer water. He must have another species of goby as catalinas aren't tank bred and will die after a short time at warm temps. If you're planning on doing a bigger tank then just wait until then to get a fish. You said you have a 40 in your house, enjoy the fish in there but leave this one as just inverts.

I dunno he's had those fish in that tank for years now sitting at room temperature. He's told me they prefer cooler water but the ones he's had in that tank have bred and done fine in there.

I'd be willing to bet he has them classified wrong. Almost every story online about keeping them in warm water states they develop disease and die early due to the temps. Just pick a small actual reef goby if you really require a fish.

I ended up getting 2 Neon gobys one I got for a friend and kept him for a few days till he was ready for him and I kept the smallest one, I'm waiting for the 5gal to come soon and gonna turn the 2.6 into a nano reef for the living room. I'll try to get a pic of it soon but the neon goby will be in his new home soon :D

Back
Top Bottom