how can I get clear pictures of tank with a digital camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryan0292002ca

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi, I have a digital camera, a 4.1 MP sony cybershot and want to take some pictures of my tank, but everytime I do they always turn out blurry. I'm not too knowledgable when it comes to cameras, so can anyone give me some advice on what to do to get clear pictures. I've tryed with both the flash on and off, and they still always turn out blurry. I would appreciate any help, thanks

Put the camera on a tripod. Aquarium photography is low light photography, if your using the flash and still get blurry pics where nothing is in focus, make sure your camera has...and your using...the macro function. Most cameras will only focus at about 24-30 inches away from the subject in normal shooting mode, when you put the camera in macro, it allows you to get much closer

I have a Sony Cybershot as well, the 5.1 MP. Like the previous post said, make sure you use the macro mode - it allows you much closer shots in focus. I'm not sure how much you've played with your camera, so forgive me if I insult you camera intelligence ;) .... but as you're getting ready to take the pic, don't just press the button once. Hold it halfway down, and it will attempt to auto focus the image in the center of the viewer. You can see it doing this, so you can gauge how in focus your shot will be if you press your finger down all the way to complete the picture taking.

Hope that helps! My camera has taken some good shots of my tank, I'll post them if I get a chance finally.

Matt

Tripod or hold it steady and macro setting...
Here is a pic using the 3.1 MP sony and no flash on macro...
tux1.jpg

Wow. I must need a new camera. When I turn the flash off on mine, it keeps the shutter open so long I HAVE to use a tripod. My camera has to have strong light to take a decent pic now. I've taken some great shots with my cheapo Fuji, but it really takes a lot of work to get them...the red-eye is absolutely the worst that I've experienced with any digital camera. It even has the dual red-eye reduction flash...it does absolutely nothing to pic quality. When it was new (and 350 bucks), the Macro function worked great...I could take shots with great detail at very close range. It seems to me that I have to get a little further away nowadays. I wonder if these cameras have something that wears out in the focus department?

quite possibly, i'm not sure how the macro works but i think it moves the lens' so that i can focus closer, that could possibly cause it to wear out, altho it's a complete guess!

Also if you mount it on a tripod, try using the self timer, this will prevent any camera shake from you pressing the button.

i have no idea about sony camera's, but if there is an option to change the ISO setting, try increasing it, wouldnt go any higher than 400 tho. Increasing it, will increase how sensitive the CCD is to light, but does produce a grainier image. so experiment.

Also when you're photographing in low light, a slower shutter speed will allow more light in but if your fish move they will blur. To a cerain extent you can use the aperture, if you can not set it manually, zooming all the way out will alow a larger aperture on most cameras...

hope this helped :)

To a cerain extent you can use the aperture,

Just remember the larger your aperture (lower f/stop number) the shallower your depth of field, in macros one of the biggest complaints is always shallow DOF.

Back
Top Bottom