I did it!...and got it! (with pics)***

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
Not sure how I feel about it, but I ordered a MH fixture from aquatraders.com
http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VEIWPROD&ProdID=15
With our first baby due in two weeks, we are watching the budget. However, I needed to either get new bulbs ($150) or bite the bullet now and upgrade the lighting. I called AquaTraders and the "new version" comes with 2x96watt Actinic, 2x175 watt MH 20K (we will see how this looks) and six 1watt blue LED moonlights built in. It also comes with three external ballasts and three cords/switches. Given the price, I am very anxious to see what the quality is as they have come with mixed reviews. I will keep you all posted. I hope I did not make a mistake. :oops:

VERY NICE!!!!!! Sounds good ... hope you post some pics when you get it all set up!!

OH and congrats about the new edition ... I didn't know :? !! Mine is about to turn 10months in 2 weeks and she is AWESOME! I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world!

Thanks! I will post pics from unpacking on...
We are very excited about our new baby! It will mean the tanks will have to take a back seat, however. I will keep you posted on the light, I am very curious as to how it will look.

Good luck with both the new lights and the baby :wink: . I have an 8 month old now, and though I thought my tank would become a burden....he absolutely loves it and has become a "toy" throughout the day!

If you don't like the look of the 20k and actinic (was too blue for me)...I have burned in Hamilton and Coralvue 10k bulbs you could try to check the color without actually having to buy them to find out.

That is a very generous offer, Hoops. Thanks! I am a bit worried about 20K with the actinics, I am thinking too blue as well. We will just have to see. From what I have read broken bulbs during shipping are fairly common. I asked Aquatraders on the phone about this and they said about 1/50 orders arrive with a broken bulb. Since the bulbs are a "free" gift with the until, they will replace them but the buyer has to pay shipping. Maybe I will luck out and the 20K bulbs will show up broken :wink: I am also curious about the 175watt MH fixtures. I hope they are not running on over-driven 150 ballasts. So many questions with this product.

I bought the 36" 192W Dual Strip Compact Fluorescent Light Fixture from aquatraders........bulbs not broken and packed very well Im happy with my order for the price....bought a extra set of bulbs with mine,
BTW I have 3 moonlights on my fixture and they just a waste of space
otherwise Im happy
HTH

Hey Lando,

Good luck with both new acquisitions.

As far as Aquatraders goes, I bought a 24" PC from them that worked for 1½ days. They finally sent me new external ballast that had to be soldered in, but the light still doesn't work. It took several weeks of unanswered emails and a couple of long distance calls to get the ballast shipped and I had to pay the shipping. They gave the option of sending the unit back for a replacement but the shipping would be 60% of the cost of a new one. I ended up getting a brand name unit from hellolights for my needs, so here it sits.
I hope you have better luck and don't require their customer service.

The fixture came yesterday. It was nicely packaged. Came doubled-boxed with peanuts and all of the bulbs were wrapped in foam. All was well. Construction seems good, mostly metal. The only lame thing about it is that the moonlights run on the same curcuit as the MH bulbs. They have their own ON/OFF switch but it is wired into the MH ballast so with the MH on a timer it shuts off the moons as well. Pretty much makes them useless to me. Here are some pics...

Attachments

• uploadable_pics_011_585x438.jpg
    uploadable_pics_011_585x438.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 87
  • uploadable_pics_008_585x438_147.jpg
    uploadable_pics_008_585x438_147.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 69
  • copy_of_uploadable_pics_009_585x438.jpg
    copy_of_uploadable_pics_009_585x438.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 57
WOW. I never realized how cheap those are. As long as it lasts, that looks like a good deal.

Cool beans dude!!!
Hey congrats on the baby. Get some sleep now.... :)
Let me know how you like them down the road, I am looking into an upgrade myself.

the the MH and the moon led's are on the same powercord :?: That makes no sense what so ever... looking at the case.. what would it take for you to split out the wiring for the LEDs?

That is weird. So the MH is on while the moonlights are on? So you'll never have a moonlit tank at night?

that is kidna lame. Sorry about that. But good price anyways.

So the MH is on while the moonlights are on? So you'll never have a moonlit tank at night?
You can have if the MH ballast is not on a timer. The MH and moons are controled via seperate switches on the ballast but it only has one power cord. If there is power tothe ballast you can just off the MH and leave the moons on.

I read a thread on RC where the guy mentioned re-wiring the lights for this very reason. Not sure what was involved though.

Can you post some pics of it once it is mounted on the aquarium?

Lando, how much did you score on this setup again? I have a 29G standard FW tank that I want to convert into a reef tank. Can you give me pointers? I don't think your light setup isn't bad at all. You just have to turn on the moonlight yourself at night, set the timer, but keep the MH switch off. It's more like an inconvenience rather than sucky. But looks good!!

Help me out, lando! (y)

Lando, how much did you score on this setup again?
$329 plus $50 shipping.
I have a 29G standard FW tank that I want to convert into a reef tank. Can you give me pointers?
It depends on what you would like to keep in the tank.

Well, with the exception of xenias, what type of Soft corals can you suggest? Which of the two types of inverts are less harder to take care of? (Saw your gallery by the way. Amazing variation).

For beginner reefers, what species would be great?

BTW, the price isn't that bad. Do you have an existing light stand or did you have to buy that separately?

Back
Top Bottom