IM NUVO SR-80 - Autumnsky's Island Lagoon style build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Innovative Marine NUVO SR Aquarium - SR-80
Stock info
Innovative Marine

Just picked up this tank used, look to be in pretty good shape but is a little dusty and salty.

The tank is 48" wide 24" front to back and self contained /AIO design in the back taking up ~6" of space with the height of the glass at 16" though I am told the top 2-3 inches will not have water due to overflow depth.

ATM I have a 48"-60" Orbit Marine with Ramp Pro used for only about 4 months with previous owner, from a previous tank purchase which I have not used yet (I ditched the tank). Been considering other possible options for the future and will try and figure out how to use this one for the time being.

I bought a Full size Auqa Gadget Skimmate Ghost Skimmer used for 80 pluse extras, clean and like new fits the space in back perfectly.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/auqa...ZvcKUT3P5GFkkIhU3hFv42Ar6D2_7tThoCF-IQAvD_BwE.

Also have a Marine BioPure block 4x4x12 might find a way to use.

A GFO reactor if needed - retail 199. for 50. Like new with High density starter amount of GFO and a starter amount of Carbon as well.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

VISION

Lagoon Style Emergent Island

Have been picturing for this tank a Rock Flower Anemone garden area - little island area 4-8" high, with an emergent big island with tree growing on it. (Bonsai style or tropical "tree"). Sand area open towards front and Turtle grass maybe in back, well mannered macroalgae and interesting inverts. With a few fish.

Would love some special additions later of a couple clams and Ruby Red or Mandarin Dragonet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The small mound will call little island on one side with corals on it.

Hoping for cooperative RFA's to nestle around little island with some rock rubble around it. I have a ~ 12" roundish coral stone.

The big island which may have a swim through or grotto made in the rocks which will emerge out of the water to some degree maybe 4-6 inches and have a "tree" living in it.

Thinking of a "bonsai" mangrove but also maybe just setting in a house plant "tree" for the immediate (found a couple cool looking options) to a special container which can be easily removable and glue stones to make it look like part of the reef. Will be some trial and error as to the salt spray tolerance for the plant. Wondering if any Hermits will come out and hang on top. :rolleyes:

Been dreaming it all up, thinking what it might be like - the fun part for me, the equipment and the running of it is not really fun to me. Building it maybe pretty fun though!

Clearing the space now as it is a foot larger than what I had planned so it will not be in the previously designated place. Darn. Sniperhank said the extra 20 gallons is worth it. We shall see :brows:

Pics and more details /stuff at the end of the week, work is so inconvenient.

I think I will be doing Nature's Ocean Samoa Pink Sand #0, 20 lbs x 4 to start.

Also thinking of a few other things, like a mud patch /tray with Turtle grass possibly. Not sure how it will all actually come together yet.

Considering which sand to use. Just wanted to notate the ingredient content for the CaribSea Hawaiian Black.

Comprised of aragonite coated grains, ooids, Halieda Incrassada, Halimeda Favulosa, Goniolithon SSP, Lithothamniom SSP, Cerithidae SSP (Gastropod Mollusk), Benthic Foraminifera SSP, Homotrema Rubrum Pelecypoda (Bivalve Mollusk), Echinoderm Fragments.

Aragonite Elemental Assay:Calcium (Ca)-381,000 ppm Carbonate (CO3)-590,000 ppm Strontium (SR)-7,390 ppm Magnesium (MG)-1,050 ppm Molybdenum (MO)-56 ppm Potassium (K)-56 ppm As well as Barium (BA), Manganese (MN), Iron (FE), Sulfur (S) and other essential trace elements

Well... this sounds just perfect. If you were a travel agent I'd book a vacation to this tank!!!

Apparently, though not completely intending to actually buy these, I won the auction for some frags of Zoas 45.
LEPRECHAUNS (3p) ($30 value), VDM 1p ($15+ value), NINJAS (1p? $10 value), RAINBOW INFUSIONS (3 or 4p) (30 or $40. value)

So paid about half the normal cost. Meant to just bid to show support for Allyson and her local coral store MindBlowingCorals, and bidding hadn't met the reserve, but then the reserve was reduced and BAM! I was the winner, lol. Surprise! She has really healthy nice stuff and she is A+ for customer service.

Really didn't intend to add Zoas to this new tank build. A little extra color will be fine though. Still so surprised! No shipping because she is not too far away ;). That is my favorite part.

I was thinking that I will need an ATO for RO, and a plant or "tree" which is a freshwater marginal would need FW.

Then I started thinking the ATO would be able to water the FW plant(s) on the island, then I was wondering about tide pools and found a cool article which I will try and reference later as it was on my phone not the laptop.

It discussed the upper tide pools and lower tide pools and other stuff which focused on how much fresh to SW might be in the tide pools based upon their locations. Also based upon stormy weather and high tides, etc.

What that made me wonder was if some kinds of Algae or plants might grow on the top of the big Island even more than the single bonsai styled tree thing.

Probably just a bit of wondering on my part but it would be interesting if there was a smallish plant or algae which might work on the island with miniature spots where there might be varying salinity due to the top off dripping in which could create a small spot of an other kind or 2 of plant. ;)

Back
Top Bottom