Jake's 120g build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HPballer76

Aquarium Advice Freak
i figured i should post up a build for my new tank. i picked up a 120 gallon 4ft by 2ft dual overflow tank last week. i am going to be upgrading from my 72 into this so most of the equipment from that will be reused. the tank came with a stand (needs to be reinforced i think) and lights (for sale if anyone is interested).

I painted the back of the tank black yesterday. im planning on making a sump using a 40 breeder instead of the 20 high i have for the 72. the main thing i need help on is how i should plumb it? the tank came with a durso stand pipe and return in each overflow. i could leave it like this and it would be pretty simple to plumb but i am wondering if while i have it out and have access to the tank if i should change it and go to a bean animal or herbie style? what does everyone here think? if i do the bean animal or herbie how should i plumb it with the dual overflows? i think there is a 1inch bulkhead and 3/4 inch in each drain.

pics coming soon.

all taped off for paint. decided i would keep it so i can see in the back of the overflows if necessary.
img_2011242_0_da404f682e8c99d0886749473524b996.jpg

about half way through painting.
img_2011242_1_dbe641d1b4de50be2fe53250bfe1b4eb.jpg

and a pic from the back of the stand. any ideas on how i should reinforce it? it has no middle brace and only touches the tank around the edges. i was thinking of adding a full top piece for the tank to sit on and then adding a 2x4 to each corner and one to the rear center. ideally i would like to leave out the center front brace but i'm not sure if that is a good idea?

img_2011242_2_3b5bc6567ae2b5d0deed930439a2292e.jpg

I agree you need something on the back. There is no lateral support it appears as the front doors provide nothing. With 1000 lbs sitting on top, the stand can easily collapse sideways. A plywood back or cross braces would help.
As for the bottom supports I would go with the centre post as well. In the front you might consider on inside the doors too. If accessing/removing the sump is a concern you can put a hinge on the top of the brace or just a seating system so the front centre brace can be pulled out to remove the sump.
That would reduce any twisting on the tank base support you are thinking of.

im not to worried with the working around the front post. i can deal with that i just don't want 120+ gallons of water on my floor lol. i know this is a lot to ask but anyone think they could do a paint picture of where i should add braces? never built a stand but im pretty handy so i think i can handle adding support with a little guidance.

here are some more pics.

img_2011295_0_1f10a8f94ffa59a81f7fdad1214ad234.jpg

img_2011295_1_7b91bdf0d05921e58b78e3233b59b427.jpg

img_2011295_2_31b0cfa04fcb6f5e0f902e4651d3df0c.jpg

img_2011295_3_6594ee51bec36febc90b3fee6c789395.jpg

img_2011295_4_dcf131e18b6e0d14079e358ee7838083.jpg

img_2011295_5_88c1d1f54389c4707de2407c4f9d706d.jpg

I really don't like the look of the support underneath. It doesn't look like the cross piece the tank sits on is underbraced!
Your idea of putting a piece of plywood under the tank proper should work and you can over size the holes so there is plenty of room to do any repairs to the nipples. You can put either 3 supports on front and back as you mentioned earlier (I would put on just inside the doors as well) or just 2 support pairs 1 ft from the ends. That way each support would hold up 1 ft of tank on either side of the support.
You will still need the cross brace or back wall added for lateral support.

gotcha i understand now, was having trouble picturing it in my head before. i think i will do 3 each way. i would rather be safe than sorry. what would be the best way to do the back brace? i don't have a way of cutting wood here so anything i get i will have to have cut at lowes if that makes a difference.

I would add a whole back wall. Just measure to opening sideways exactly and for height you want from the floor to bottom of tank. The same size plywood as the edge pieces. Nail it top and bottom. Then the stand won't be able to collapse sideways. Supply store will cut to measure.

alright i can handle that only problem is i need at least some kind of opening on the back for power cords. the outlet will be behind the tank just to the left of center.

ok will do! thanks for the help! now that i have a plan for the stand the next thing i'm wondering about is how to plumb it? its setup now with a durso and return in each overflow i could leave it like that but i was thinking of going with something that is a little less noisy and safer like a herbie style. anyone have suggestions on that?

Back
Top Bottom