Jester's 90 gallon upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's much easier with a sump and chaeto. Anyways, I got some saltwater acclimated mollies to help with algae clean up in my sump and eventually display tank:

Simply because they are very effective (and fairly cost effective) algae eaters. I have since moved them to my display tank.

Speaking of algae removal, I tried out Flucanozole for my incessant issues with Hair Algae. Take a look at the Coral Growth Update video above for reference (notice all the ugly gunk on the rocks). After a single dose and no water changes for a month, I did a 20 gallon water change and a week later this was the result:

I can't speak for the amount of algae that the sea hare I had in my tank consumed. I didn't think that I would enjoy having that thing in my tank as much as I did either. It was a real treat to see it out and about doing its job at night. When I had patches of algae, I'd wake up the next day to see a literal path mowed through it.

I considered one, but the nasty gunk that they can put out, plus an invert munching wrasse has put me off of getting one. Flucanozole breaks hair algae and bryopsis down at the cellular level, while leaving coralline algae, Chaeto and other helpful types of algaes alone.

Anyways, here is a growth update on my tiny Zoanthid I got as a freebee on black friday, it has definitely grown and shown full color and is sending out new polyps:

Interesting that the deaths came from food rather than the actual process of switching over to salt. It'll be interesting to see how things pan out, but I just never saw mollies as being worth the effort to get them into salt. Thoughts moving forward?

I will keep the remaining Molly in there and just let things take their course. The remaining one is eating and it does appear to be nibbling algae off of my tank heater, so it is performing a slightly useful function. They were pricey for Mollies at $10 each (keeping in mind the acclimation process was already done for me), so I don't want to just get rid of it. It certainly isn't hurting anything in my tank and it does eat a bit of the left over food bits. Either way though I certainly wouldn't recommend someone to go out and get them. I only got them to try for algae removal and they really didn't do much in that department.

A new Wrasse that I really want:

My Melanurus Wrasse has finally lost it's dorsal fin spot:

No arguments there. Color, Personality and Activity they add a lot to my tank. Anyways here is an overview and update on a few things:

Nice. Glad things are working out. I need to get on my water changes...I've been slacking. It shows, but the algae is easily managed and have kept focused on the aiptasia.

Couldn't help myself, yet another Euphyllia Frag. Green with Purple Tip Frogspawn:

Back
Top Bottom