just setup my new 130 litre tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
thought i'd post my new tank up as i'm v proud of my effort (pats himself on the back)

i'm unsure of what to put in there now.......

any ideas?

26835-albums822-picture5733.jpg
26835-albums822-picture5734.jpg
26835-albums822-picture5735.jpg
26835-albums822-picture5736.jpg

oh and this is the new addition :)

along with:

coral beauty, 2xcleaner shrimp, boxer shrimp, 3xdamsels, manderin, Harry (unknown in LHS pic under the wave maker, mushroom, button polyps and a couple other creapy crawlies)

hopr you all like :p

Need a pair of clownfish. What's a SW tank without clownfish??? :) :)

What kinda lighting ya got so's we can help better with coral suggestions?

Im using 2x T5's (1x power glo + 1 x life glo) and a T8 actnic.

I was wondering if the clown fish and copperband would be 'friends or foes' though?

I'd be more concerned about the copperband nibbling on coral than I would worry about it getting along with clownfish. No reason I know of they'd fight. Of course, I've never had a copperband, but they aren't related or even resemble each other in the slightest way.

ive done a bit of research before i'd bought and read that if you keep it well fed it wont 'nibble'. plus I really love the copperband and am willing to take the risk :) there's not much out there on what fish there suitable with so thought i'd ask. ive also found this evening a very small anenome growing at the bottom of the colt coral which happy about.

wont having a couple clownfish make the tank slightly over crowded?

this is the community:
copperband butterfly
coral beauty
3 x damsels
spotted cardinal
spotted manderin
2 x cleaner shrimps
boxer shrimp
hermit crabs
brown button polyps
mushroom leather
colt coral

Ok, you're right. I just looked at my metric conversion. 28 gal is small for a pair of added clowns. Can you get a pic of the anenome? It might not be a good thing. Heard of aptasia?

the anenome is a small bubble tip (you could fit four on a penny piece/nickel) i do have an aptasia which ive been told to pippet it with lemon juice. is this the best way to get rid of it or does anyone else have any good suggestions?

heres a pic of the miniscule bubble tip, unfortunately its sleeping at the mo so its tenticles are in.......when its out i'll take another pic.
26835-albums822-picture5743.jpg

I'm not versed much on anenomes. Maybe that's why I cannot see anything in the pic above. You did confirm its a bubble tip?

Some swear by Joe's Juice for aptasia. Some do a kalkwasser (sp?) paste injection I think. Some get rid of small ones by keeping peppermint shrimp. I think that copperband might even take care of it if I remember my reading. Never had one, but I think they do eat aptasia.

lol, i thought i might get that response :) havent had it confirmed but im pretty sure it is. unless my copperband wants a 3 course meal i dont think he'll eat this one.....its quite big (thankfully the only one). i'll try the joes juice i think.

with me being snowed in and off work today (bonus!) ive done a few tests.
i think there all there or there abouts:
KH=10
calcium=480mg/L
Phosphate=1mg/L
Nitrate=30mg/L

these ok? also got lights on for 7-8hr/day

Nitrates are higher than preferred. Zero is optimal, but 20 or less is acceptable. For a reef, you want zero phosphates too. Gotta find the source of that. Could be in the water you're using. Tap?? Could be too much flake food I've heard. What are you feeding BTW and how often? Phosphates can even be added from frozen food cubes sometimes.

7-8 hrs is a good light cycle.

im using RO water so that wont be the source, its prob the frozen brine shrimp (1 cube per day defrosted in glass then imtermitently fed over an hour or so, so that all is eaten) and occassionally flake (once a week).

i'll do a PWC tomorrow (10/20%) hopefully that will do the nitrates some good. I cycled the tank for around 2 weeks with LR plus added a small amount of food for the bacteria so it should be quite settled by now. the tank maybe having a small spike due to new bioload (2xcleaner shrimps + copperband).

I wouldn't expect any spike if you're referring to any ammonia or nitrite. Shrimp are almost nothing on a bio-load I believe. Rinse the frozen food in fw. I used a small net and ran the tap over it for a few seconds. After it drains, add some zoe (vitamin) and garlic guard (for the immune system boost). Your fish will go crazy over the stuff.

P.S. feeding shouldn't take that long either. Could be the source of higher nitrates.

I will start washing the cubes, thanks. not heard of zoe so i'll get some that this week.

i'll start feeding quicker, i didnt realise that could cause the nitrates to rise.

thanks for all your knowledge, its greatly appreciated :)

i would love to get an anenome and a clown but i think it would be slightly over crowded......

Some use zelcon instead of zoe. I'm not familiar with the diff.

It's recommended to wait 6 months or more for an anenome. Some say a year. I've never had one, but I know you need good water quality and stability for one. Good lights too.

Something else just dawned on me. You could get rid of the 3 damsels and replace with a pair of clowns. Clowns are damsels anyway, ya know. :)

i really dont like my damsels!!! they bully everything in the tak even if they get bullied straight back!!!

that is the plan!!! but what to do with the damsels? I cant flush them!!!

im in england and have already asked but the lfs wont take due to risk infections etc...

Back
Top Bottom