Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Members Saltwater Tanks Showcase
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2013, 04:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Kevin's 265g FOWLR Tank

Hey all. Just thought I show off my tank and see what everyone thought iof it so far, the whole build from frame to sump to glass tank all was DIY. I am about to start with corals and wanted to do a bit of a before and after thread. At the moment, it's semi-stocked with fish. Still hunting around for a few others before I start off with reef.

Hoping to get my hands on a flasher wrasse, scotts fairy wrasse, magnificent foxface, majestic angel, 5x Perrcula Clowns and maybe a few cromises (depending if it looks overstocked or not)

So far livestock:
  • Blue tang
  • Chocolate tang
  • Yellow tang
  • Power blue tang
  • Foxface
  • Lopezi tang
  • Tomini tang
  • Vampire tang
  • 3x Fire gobies
  • Sleeper goby
  • Maderine
  • Labouti Fairy Wrasse
  • Few snails and a blue starfish (if they really count lol)
Still wanting to add a few more fish before moving to corals which should hopefully be in a few months if I can find them

Click image for larger version

Name:	20131206_195658.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	210810 Click image for larger version

Name:	20131206_195710.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	210811

Name:	20131206_195937.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	210812

Just thought I'd show what sort of filtration I've got here at the moment

Name:	20131206_202132.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	210814

I kinda should've cleaned it all up before taking photos and should have taken the photos at feeding time lol.... and probably should've used a better camera rather than a mobile phone

But tell me what you all think so far

Old 12-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Looks great! If you wanna add those smaller fish I would consider rearranging the rock scape right before they go in and adding them in groups because your existing fish are large and may be aggressive and territorial.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks for your input.... have definitely considered that. in that right corner is where all the tang live, sometimes it can be chaos in the corner lol
Old 12-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Keep in mind that some of those fish will get fairly large and that will fill up space over time. That's a whole lot of Tangs and I agree with what was already said...they can be nasty to newcomers once they feel the tank is theirs.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Personally, if you are planning on going reef I would stop where you are at in terms of livestock.
What kind of lighting do you have over this beast of a tank? It is going to take a good chunk to light it up for corals if the lighting isn't already in place. What kind of coral are you planning on keeping?
My one question though is, why are your rocks red? Are they actually red or is that something growing over them?
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the feedback guy, I probably wont be going nuts on the corals... probably just a few softies to give a bit more life to the rocks.

At the moment im running Octopus litemaster.... pretty cheapish sort of lighting thats apparently coral ready, runs t5s with an led night mode. still need to hook up the blue t5s for day mode as well.

honestly, I got no idea about the red on the rock lol..... always thought it was fairly normal lol, I don't think it has much to do with water coz im running rodi water and have moved to different suburbs with different water quality and it always appears on the rock but the fish love grazing on it.

Maybe too much cal or too less?? or something else lurking in the water that i haven't tested for yet. but it's not causing any problems for the fish, but might be an issue for corals if the algae starts growing on them.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Well, it def looks like algae growth on your rocks. This is usually an indicator of excess nitrates or phosphates...in your case I'd assume phosphates. Phosphates hamper the process of building their skeleton. You are also correct that since they cause such algae growth, this can also overgrow your corals.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

hmmm I may have to invest in a phosphate testing kit.

definitely no nitrates..... tank always sits on about 0-5 nitrate although I always thought that if theres excess nitrate then theres excess phosphates. thought they mostly appear/disappear together.

Tags
fowlr, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com