*Look What i found in my Polyp Rock *with pic!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xahx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought some yellow polyps today and Tiny TINY Crab came with it.

Here is a pick, Anyone know what it is??

Looks to me like a tiny tiny emerald crab...(?)

Attachments

• dsc01004.jpg
    dsc01004.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 213
do the big pinchers have a sharp tip? or more of a flat tip?

Im not sure if you'd want to keep it around if the tips are sharp ;\
cutie though!

do the big pinchers have a sharp tip? or more of a flat tip?

Im not sure! its too late now tho! i put it in already
When i did put it in, it seemed to have hitched a ride with a hermit crab. Clinging on to his leg and then the shell.

If it is a problem later, im sure ill find it when it grows to cause a problem! :D

I can't be positive and it may be from the flash but, it looks like it has black claw tips. That would indicate a predatory crab. Although, a crab that small is hardly a threat and will probably just scavage around til it grows big enough to be a problem.

I can't be positive and it may be from the flash but, it looks like it has black claw tips
that is what I was thinking. It may cause problems down the road.

Crap! I would not have put itin the tank. They are cute, but I had one in my tank that came with the LR. I did'nt even know it was in there until 8 months later, and it was as big as the palm of your hand. I did however notice a number of corals eaten. Like all my pulsating xenia, my whole yellow poylp colony, and some other poylps. After almost a year, I finally got him out. Dang that little coral eating Bugger!!! :evil:

The bad thing is I took every piece of lr out of the tank and could not find him. I just lucked up one day and found him in a hole in the rock. :D

FWIW, I had a small crab (similar to the one in the picture) come in on my live rock. It was soo cool, of course, I through it in the tank! That was a mistake! The crab is about half dollar size now and definitely predatory. It has large black tipped claws and takes down every shrimp I add to the tank.

I just lost a Blue Tang that was about 1.5 inches due to a run in with a crab that looked exactly like that one, only bigger. It did have the black pointed claws mentioned above. It's shell was about the size of a nickel. Crab was removed today as I was drip aclimating a new Blue Tang. Hopefully my 4-year old won't be able to tell the difference between Dory and Dory II.

Kurt

hope it was an emerald crab!!! I have about 12 shrimps on my 60 gall!!! I love em! i cant bear to see them destroyed by that crab! I guess ill take it out as soon as i see him again (Yeah right...lol) Well, maybe a few months later :?

Back
Top Bottom